Ohio Sportsbetting Market Goes Live

This story was published more than 1 year ago.

The state of Ohio's sportsbetting market went live at midnight on January 1st, 2023, with gamblers around the state putting in wagers at a number of land casinos, as well as online.

The activity was passed into law by lawmakers and Governor Mike DeWine in December of 2021, and the Buckeye State spent 2022 getting the regulatory structure set up for launch yesterday. The state is now the 33rd in the US to legalize and regulate the activity following the Supreme Court decriminalizing sportsbetting on a federal level.

Bets were placed right at midnight, with casinos like JACK and Hollywood Casino throughout the state processing wagers. 98% of taxes generated will go toward the Sports Gaming Profits Education Fund, while the remaining 2% will go toward the Problem Gaming Fund to assist with gambling addiction.

Commenting on the launch JACK Entertainment Director of PR and Communications Aleksandra Breault said, "We've been surrounded by states that have been sports betting for quite some time now. So to be able to keep that money here and for our state, which can do so much for us, it means a lot."

About the author

Dustin Jermalowicz // News Editor
Dustin Jermalowicz
Dustin has a long-standing passion for gambling. He has been writing professionally on the subject and breaking industry news for Casino Listings since 2011. His favorite casino games include Blackjack, Poker, and Hi/Lo. A proud native of Detroit, Dustin currently lives in Michigan.