California Voters Get Say on Mobile Sportsbetting

This story was published more than 1 year ago.

California residents will have their say in whether mobile sportsbetting should be legal in the Golden State, as a ballot referendum that would legalize the activity will be put up for a vote on November 8th.

Voters will get a yes/no say on whether mobile sportsbetting should be available in the state, and a second initiative will let voters decide whether retail sportsbetting should be allowed at tribal casinos and horseracing tracks. 85% of tax revenues would go to reducing the state's large homelessness problem, while the remaining 15% would go the state's Native American tribes.

Tribal groups and online betting platforms would have to pay a $10 million licensing fee, while "qualified gaming entities" would pay $100 million for a license. Betting would be open to those 21 years of age or older.

The initiative garnered 1.1 million valid signatures to make it onto the ballot.

Casino Listings News is following this story and will update as appropriate.

About the author

Dustin Jermalowicz // News Editor
Dustin Jermalowicz
Dustin has a long-standing passion for gambling. He has been writing professionally on the subject and breaking industry news for Casino Listings since 2011. His favorite casino games include Blackjack, Poker, and Hi/Lo. A proud native of Detroit, Dustin currently lives in Michigan.