Netherlands Doled Out €1.7 Million in Fines in 2018

This story was published more than 1 year ago.

During 2018 the Netherlands gaming regulator Kansspelautoriteit issued a record €1.7 million in fines to unlicensed online casino groups offering services in the country.

In total, the regulator issued €1,709,800 in fines for operators last year, which is almost double the amount issued in 2017 and four times the amount doled out in 2016. The rise in fines comes after the regulator made the choice to clamp down on online betting sites that don't adhere to the country's requirement to block Dutch players from sites or offer information in the Dutch language.

Most of the fines levied came against Betsson, Bet-at-Home, Mr Green, and William Hill, as they are the largest operators that were intentionally targeting players within the country. While the fines have been issued, it's unlikely that any of that money has been collected thus far. Most operators that were fined have appealed the case, and others will likely ignore the action.

The Netherlands is looking to liberalize the online gaming market, as internet betting is largely considered illegal. While most other European countries have made progress, the Netherlands has stalled, as lawmakers cannot come to an agreement on laws.

We've followed these cases and will continue to let readers know as the cases progress.

About the author

Kingston Li // Asia Correspondent
Kingston Li
Kingston is a big fan of Baccarat and Texas Hold'em Poker and has tested his skills in tournaments around Asia and the world. He covers the latest gambling news from Asia for Casino Listings. In his spare time, Kingston enjoys hiking, video gaming, and playing disc golf.
4 replies • Last post

Comments

bgsharpe
Forum AngelForum Angel
sharpe's picture
Location: Sofia, Bulgaria
Joined: 4 Nov 2014
Posts: 7317
Thanks given: 3938
Thanks received: 1070
7 January 2019 - 12:53pm
#1
Quote:

While the fines have been issued, it's unlikely that any of that money has been collected thus far. Most operators that were fined have appealed the case, and others will likely ignore the action.

Doesn't that make all those sanctions pointless anyway!?!

I think the Netherlands government should regulate the gambling activity first and then chasing with fines those violating the rules..all that looks a bit idle now.

zaLambino
Gold PlayerGold Player
Lambino's picture
Location: SA
Joined: 14 Apr 2015
Posts: 571
Thanks given: 311
Thanks received: 551
7 January 2019 - 1:04pm
#2

For a country that allows the recreational use of marywana and magic mushrooms its really surprising they would be strict about onoine gambling, who would have guessed

sharpe

usbarbadosslim93
Forum AngelForum Angel
barbadosslim93's picture
Location: Michigan
Joined: 28 Jan 2011
Posts: 11792
Thanks given: 694
Thanks received: 1625
7 January 2019 - 6:49pm
#3
Lambino wrote:

For a country that allows the recreational use of marywana and magic mushrooms its really surprising they would be strict about onoine gambling, who would have guessed

Yeah its a bit funny. I'm genuinely curious about what the holdup is when it comes to regulating online betting. People do it anyway and they'd get tax revenues and money from those applying for licenses. Seems like they should just get it done already instead of getting nothing.

sharpe

bgsharpe
Forum AngelForum Angel
sharpe's picture
Location: Sofia, Bulgaria
Joined: 4 Nov 2014
Posts: 7317
Thanks given: 3938
Thanks received: 1070
8 January 2019 - 7:16pm
#4
Lambino wrote:

For a country that allows the recreational use of marywana and magic mushrooms its really surprising they would be strict about onoine gambling, who would have guessed

😂 😂 That's a great point mate, didn't thought of it in that aspect.

barbadosslim93 wrote:

Yeah its a bit funny. I'm genuinely curious about what the holdup is when it comes to regulating online betting. People do it anyway and they'd get tax revenues and money from those applying for licenses. Seems like they should just get it done already instead of getting nothing.

Yeah, exactly 👍