Winning $1.5 Billion Mega Millions Ticket Sold in South Carolina

On Tuesday night a player in South Carolina hit all six numbers on the Mega Millions lottery draw, taking home almost $1.6 billion in the process.

The winning player was the only one to hit all of the numbers, which were 5, 28, 62, 65, 70 and the Mega Ball 5. The winner has the choice to take an annuity payment of $1.537 billion over 30 years or take a lump sum payment of $877.8 million before taxes, which would be expected to cut the prize to "just" $553 million. The jackpot falls just short of being a record for a U.S. lottery jackpot, and gave the country lottery fever over the last week.

Whoever the big winner is was extremely lucky to hit the prize in South Carolina, as the state is one of eight that allows winners to remain anonymous. Other states require winners to reveal themselves, which can cause headaches as hangers-on begin reaching out to have money thrown their way.

In addition to the big winner, there were 36 million dollar winners, 419 $10,000 winners, and 15,750,013 overall winners that at least got their money back.

Speaking about the big win, Gordon Medenica, Lead Director of the Mega Millions Group and Director of Maryland Lottery and Gaming said, "The moment we've been waiting for finally arrived, and we couldn't be more excited. This is truly a historic occasion. We're so happy for the winner, and we know the South Carolina Education Lottery can't wait to meet the lucky ticket holder."

About the author

17 replies • Last post

Comments

krcoolsongss
Jackpot ChaserJackpot Chaser
coolsongss's picture
Joined: 2 Dec 2014
Posts: 2355
Thanks given: 1669
Thanks received: 1169
24 October 2018 - 4:39pm
#1

Oh, this is a crazy amount. And it is even more surprising that it is the second highest in the record, hahaha Smile After paying tax over 30% and some fees, it would be still a life-changing win (or possibly can change a whole family's life for generations) Smile

Great luck for the winner after all Smile

usbarbadosslim93
Forum Angel
barbadosslim93's picture
Location: Michigan
Joined: 28 Jan 2011
Posts: 10932
Thanks given: 643
Thanks received: 1258
24 October 2018 - 4:49pm
#2

Yeah, that winner is feeling like a billion bucks today. Good on them!

auCL-Ed
StaffStaff
CL-Ed's picture
Location: Sydney
Joined: 7 Sep 2007
Posts: 8502
Thanks given: 4573
Thanks received: 3966
24 October 2018 - 10:53pm
#3

So what would you do: take the lump sum or the annuity?

My first reaction was that the annuity might make more sense as it could prevent you from losing everything through a bad investment or stupidity. So I looked up what you would expect to earn if you invested the lump sum vs the annuity. And the lump sum comes out far, far ahead. Here's a good Time article that compares the options.

The tax on the winnings is insane. Federal tax will cut the lump sum to $553m and then another 7% tax in South Carolina will mean the winner will get around $492m of the advertised "$1.6 billion" prize. If they took the annuity they would be expected to receive $856m over the 30 year period. But if they took the $492m lump sum, spent a bit, then invested $475m they could expect it to grow to over $2 billion in 30 years at an annual rate of 5%. It could be even more as the share market averages 8-9% long term.

So unless you are a degenerate spender or gambler who can't save a cent, the lump sum is the way to go. Even if you are there is probably some other way you could lock up the lump sum so that it is invested and only pays you a limited annual dividend.

3 sharpe, coolsongss, Lambino

Always play it safe! Consult our list of rogue casinos and warnings before depositing at a new casino.
Post in our forums to earn CLchips which can be used to buy real prizes in our CLchips shop.

caWaroftheGods
True PlayerTrue Player
WaroftheGods's picture
Location: Calgary
Joined: 27 Sep 2017
Posts: 844
Thanks given: 344
Thanks received: 788
25 October 2018 - 1:53pm
#4

If I could safely throw some not so accepted words around, it would be while commenting on an article announcing a 1.6 billion dollar lotto winner, that is a massive number, congratulations to the winner, holy $%&£

usbarbadosslim93
Forum Angel
barbadosslim93's picture
Location: Michigan
Joined: 28 Jan 2011
Posts: 10932
Thanks given: 643
Thanks received: 1258
25 October 2018 - 1:56pm
#5

I saw that the winner went to work trying to play it cool, but it didn't last long before he spilled the beans and left. lol

sharpe

caWaroftheGods
True PlayerTrue Player
WaroftheGods's picture
Location: Calgary
Joined: 27 Sep 2017
Posts: 844
Thanks given: 344
Thanks received: 788
25 October 2018 - 2:19pm
#6
barbadosslim93 wrote:

I saw that the winner went to work trying to play it cool, but it didn't last long before he spilled the beans and left. lol

Bahahaha that's great, I guess it safe to say he wasn't a big fan of his job .

sharpe

bgsharpe
Forum Angel
sharpe's picture
Location: Sofia, Bulgaria
Joined: 4 Nov 2014
Posts: 6485
Thanks given: 3039
Thanks received: 910
25 October 2018 - 2:23pm
#7
Quote:

So what would you do: take the lump sum or the annuity?

Well, after all the calculations you've made Ed,(good mat by the way Thumb Up ) it's obvious that the lump should be the right choice..despite the fact the winner have to leave more than a billion on the table...that's insane.

But it's also a question of what kind of person you are as they wrote in the bottom of that article, Do you trust yourself enough for not spending most or everything in year or two time?

I'm not that type of a person so I'd take the lump and try to invest...you can't go against the numbers...and the simple logic says that nothing guarantees you'll live for the next 30 years too...right?

CL-Ed

bgsharpe
Forum Angel
sharpe's picture
Location: Sofia, Bulgaria
Joined: 4 Nov 2014
Posts: 6485
Thanks given: 3039
Thanks received: 910
25 October 2018 - 2:27pm
#8
barbadosslim93 wrote:

I saw that the winner went to work trying to play it cool, but it didn't last long before he spilled the beans and left. lol

WaroftheGods wrote:

Bahahaha that's great, I guess it safe to say he wasn't a big fan of his job.

Ha-ha..yeah really...we can't blame em I guess, wouldn't you do the same?

caWaroftheGods
True PlayerTrue Player
WaroftheGods's picture
Location: Calgary
Joined: 27 Sep 2017
Posts: 844
Thanks given: 344
Thanks received: 788
25 October 2018 - 3:38pm
#9
sharpe wrote:

Well, after all the calculations you've made Ed,(good mat by the way Thumb Up ) it's obvious that the lump should be the right choice..despite the fact the winner have to leave more than a billion on the table...that's insane.

But it's also a question of what kind of person you are as they wrote in the bottom of that article, Do you trust yourself enough for not spending most or everything in year or two time?

I'm not that type of a person so I'd take the lump and try to invest...you can't go against the numbers...and the simple logic says that nothing guarantees you'll live for the next 30 years too...right?

I would have gone against the lump sum before reading this, but I would make sure my kids and there kids and there kids are set right up as best as I could before I started spending anything. I'm so horrible with money sometimes that I would have to make sure the smart things are done first.

sharpe

caWaroftheGods
True PlayerTrue Player
WaroftheGods's picture
Location: Calgary
Joined: 27 Sep 2017
Posts: 844
Thanks given: 344
Thanks received: 788
25 October 2018 - 3:40pm
#10

Or do what I do now and that as soon as I get paid or get money, I give it to Stacey lol she pays the Bill's and makes sure there's food in the fridge and cupboards before anything else, she the responsible one out of the 2 of us lol

sharpe

bgsharpe
Forum Angel
sharpe's picture
Location: Sofia, Bulgaria
Joined: 4 Nov 2014
Posts: 6485
Thanks given: 3039
Thanks received: 910
25 October 2018 - 7:01pm
#11
Quote:

I would have gone against the lump sum before reading this..

Yeah, me too but we can't deny Ed's mathematics skills Smile

WaroftheGods wrote:

Or do what I do now and that as soon as I get paid or get money, I give it to Stacey lol she pays the Bill's and makes sure there's food in the fridge and cupboards before anything else, she the responsible one out of the 2 of us lol

LOL ,Yeah, there's have to be at least one Stacey in every house!

But to be serious at least one of the two have to be responsible with the money, isn't it!?!

I'm not exactly a spendthrift, not at all but glad my girlfriend isn't that too.

caWaroftheGods
True PlayerTrue Player
WaroftheGods's picture
Location: Calgary
Joined: 27 Sep 2017
Posts: 844
Thanks given: 344
Thanks received: 788
25 October 2018 - 7:59pm
#12

Some days sharpe, you can have her lol, no, no I'm kidding, she's great, sorry love just in case one day you read this xo , the gambling rules I have weren't just my own doing, she compromised with me with a budget, and a few simple rules, she mainly didnt want to be the one to take away no limit hold em from me, the slots luckily came in a package deal.

sharpe

auCL-Ed
StaffStaff
CL-Ed's picture
Location: Sydney
Joined: 7 Sep 2007
Posts: 8502
Thanks given: 4573
Thanks received: 3966
25 October 2018 - 11:25pm
#13

Sounds like the winner needs to call Stacey for a planning and budgeting lesson before they claim the money. lol

I read that the winner will most likely remain anonymous as South Carolina allows them to. That's what I would do, but apparently in other states they have to publicly disclose the winner's name. I get that they want to make it clear that everything is legit and reporting the winner shows it was actually won, but making it public could lead to all sorts of negative repercussions.

sharpe

Always play it safe! Consult our list of rogue casinos and warnings before depositing at a new casino.
Post in our forums to earn CLchips which can be used to buy real prizes in our CLchips shop.

caWaroftheGods
True PlayerTrue Player
WaroftheGods's picture
Location: Calgary
Joined: 27 Sep 2017
Posts: 844
Thanks given: 344
Thanks received: 788
26 October 2018 - 12:03am
#14

I agree with CL-Ed on that one, not the part about my girlfriend lol but remaining anonymous. With that amount of money, things could get very ugly in a hurry. Dreams come true turns into a Nightmare. Leave the lucky winner to his own, and let him and his family enjoy what they have won, and let them decide who and when the would like to tell.

sharpe

zaLambino
Gold PlayerGold Player
Lambino's picture
Location: Johannesburg,
Joined: 14 Apr 2015
Posts: 506
Thanks given: 287
Thanks received: 468
26 October 2018 - 10:44am
#15

I can't believe how heavily taxed the winnings are, but even after taxes it's still an unbelievable sum of money to have won, I would need at least 6 months at some remote island to just get my head around what I am going to do with it

sharpe

bgsharpe
Forum Angel
sharpe's picture
Location: Sofia, Bulgaria
Joined: 4 Nov 2014
Posts: 6485
Thanks given: 3039
Thanks received: 910
26 October 2018 - 11:56am
#16
WaroftheGods wrote:

Some days sharpe, you can have her lol, no, no I'm kidding, she's great, sorry love just in case one day you read this xo ,

Ha-ha-ha lol lol
Nice escape there in the end man...just in case.. Wink

CL-Ed wrote:

Sounds like the winner needs to call Stacey for a planning and budgeting lesson before they claim the money. lol

lol,

WaroftheGods wrote:

I agree with CL-Ed on that one, not the part about my girlfriend lol..

lol lol

You're killing me guys.

bgsharpe
Forum Angel
sharpe's picture
Location: Sofia, Bulgaria
Joined: 4 Nov 2014
Posts: 6485
Thanks given: 3039
Thanks received: 910
26 October 2018 - 12:14pm
#17
CL-Ed wrote:

I read that the winner will most likely remain anonymous as South Carolina allows them to. That's what I would do, but apparently in other states they have to publicly disclose the winner's name. I get that they want to make it clear that everything is legit and reporting the winner shows it was actually won, but making it public could lead to all sorts of negative repercussions.

WaroftheGods wrote:

..but remaining anonymous. With that amount of money, things could get very ugly in a hurry. Dreams come true turns into a Nightmare. Leave the lucky winner to his own, and let him and his family enjoy what they have won, and let them decide who and when the would like to tell.

Yeah,completely agree with both of you guys.

Probably more than 20 years back...it was the first millions lotto winner here and after all the TV intertwines and noise about it, his teen daughter had been kidnapped for a ransom...so that's just an example of how all that could go into a nightmare..so hopefully he/she would choose the anonymity..if that's only up to them of course.

Post new comment

Have something to say? Agree or disagree? Tell us what you think!

Login using your social network account
Or log in with a Casino Listings account

Login or register to post comments

Registering for an account takes less than a minute and you will be brought right back here to comment afterwards.