This week Finland gaming monopoly Veikkaus posted their first half financials, which were down due to the implementation of new responsible gambling controls.
Key financial indicators for the first half ending June 30th, 2018 were:
- Sales of €1.59 billion, down 0.3% from the year prior
- Revenues up 1.8% to €875 million
- Profits up 2.5% to €505.5 million
- Digital slots revenue up 5.4% to €413.6 million
- Sportsbetting turnover down 1.6% to €281.4 million
- Retail turnover down 10%
- Digital bets up 2.1%
- Retail outlets accounted for 57.1% of sales
Finland is attributing the drop in sales to the implementation of responsible gaming tools, which have been used by punters who need to cool down. Thus, it's not necessarily a bad thing that revenues dipped a bit during the half.