Forum AngelForum Angel
hope777's picture
Thanks given: 1393
Thanks received: 1043
18 December 2013 - 10:55pm

Christmas Goodies

5 replies • Last post

Hello CL Friends,

What types of foods do you cook and bake for the holidays? Do you have any traditional foods/cookies/breads that you make every year where it would not be the holidays without them?

When the boys were small we made Gingerbread cookies every year. We made a gingerbread person for each member of the family, plus stars, bells, trees, and Santas. I let them decorate them however they wanted with frostings of different colors, raisins, sprinkles, candies, and so on. I usually make one small batch each year, because it would not seem like Christmas without them.

We also make many appetizers this time of year. We do appetizers every Christmas Eve now that it is just my siblings and families (mom is in Florida and doesn't return for the holidays anymore, now that she is older). She used to bake entire huge dinners, but no more. We keep it fun and simple.

One recipe I have made the last few years are mint cookies. They taste just like the Girl Scout cookies, thin mints, and most of all they are EASY to make

Melt Andes mints (or you can get a package of Ande's mints chips in the baking aisle of most stores where the chocolate chips are) in a little pan or crockpot. Use a tongs to dip in Ritz crackers, let the mint chocolate drip off and set on waxed paper. I have little green, red, and white candies shaped like trees I shake on top to make them more "festive."

What can't you live without during the holiday season?

LuckyMe

ushope777
Forum AngelForum Angel
hope777's picture
19 December 2013 - 2:10am

Puppy Chow: MESSY YUMMY FUN (but not for puppies)

This one is fun for the kiddos. My nephew looks for me to bring "puppy chow" every Christmas Eve. So quick and easy....but messy!

One 12 Oz Box Crispix Cereal
1/2 c. Butter
1 C Peanut Butter
12 Oz Chocolate Chips
2-3 Cups Powdered Sugar
The biggest bowl you can find

Put everything except Crispix and powdered sugar in a microwavable bowl. Heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring once during cooking. Cook until melted and smooth. Put Crispix in the biggest bowl you can find, and pour the mixture over the cereal. Coat evenly.

Put powdered sugar in a large bag. I use a paper grocery bag. Pour coated cereal into the bag and SHAKE! Now this is the part the kids love, so make sure the bag is folded down and SECURE or your children and you might end up looking like ghosts. lol

Store in airtight container. Recipe suggests room temperature, but I have refrigerated and even frozen Puppy Chow, and I believe it stays fresh and tastes like it was just made.

Remember, NOT for real puppies, because poor puppies cannot have chocolate.

Humans: ENJOY! 🙂

ushope777
Forum AngelForum Angel
hope777's picture
19 December 2013 - 2:24am

Picture of puppy chow and Andes thin mint cookies:

a_thin_mint.jpg
a_puppy_chow.jpg
usbarbadosslim93
Forum AngelForum Angel
barbadosslim93's picture
Thanks given: 849
Thanks received: 2155
19 December 2013 - 3:36pm

My wife made Oreo balls the other day.

To do them you just grind up Oreos in a food processor, add a brick of cream cheese, blend them together and freeze them. After they harden up, you dip them in chocolate.

They are amazing, and I am having a hard time restraining myself from eating them all after everybody goes to sleep!

Here is the recipe: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&...

oreo_balls.jpeg

2 hope777, LuckyMe

ushope777
Forum AngelForum Angel
hope777's picture
19 December 2013 - 4:54pm

Oh, I made those a couple of years in a row. I LOVE anything with cream cheese. Thanks for reminding me, because you are correct, they are SOOOOO GOOOOOOD! lol 🙂

usClaus
FreerollerFreeroller
Claus's picture
22 December 2013 - 6:50pm

Cookies look delicious