Forum Angel
hope777's picture
Thanks given: 1271
Thanks received: 903
4 September 2013 - 3:47am

Obie the Obese Dachshund lost weight!!!

3 replies • Last post

Hello CL Friends!

I am not sure if I posted about Obie before or not, but I have been following his story, and tonight I checked in and found this!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2324146/Obie-obese-dachshund-sho...

If you can find some videos (there are some ADORABLE videos of Obie eating his dinner and sad ones of him trying to walk) or more articles on Obie (or check out his FB page, please do!). There is quite a story about him, but the highlights follow:

1) Obie's owners were old and could not resist "those eyes," and gave him treats and did not walk him

2)Obie is adopted by a very caring woman and put on a special diet and exercise program. I believe he weight almost 80 pounds (see photos)

3) The owner announced when he lost weight, he would have to have surgery to remove excessive skin

4) Old owners go to court to try to get Obie back. They also accuse the new owner of trying to "sensationalize" Obie's story for their own financial gain and attention

5)Obie is down to 40 pounds!

6)Obie had to have skin removal surgery to remover OVER TWO POUNDS (!!) of skin. Sad

7) Owners continue to love and care for Obie: Happy Ending!

I just love this story, for the obvious reasons, but Obie can inspire us all.

I feel a little guilty that they can work with Obie to lose that much weight in seven to eight months, and I haven't been able to get Otis to lose five pounds in five years, lol. Still, 77 pounds is not funny, it is cruel.

This (now) little guy is amazing!!! Check out his story, join his FB page, and be sure to watch some videos (search on YouTube) and look at his before and after photos. You won't believe it! What a little love and care won't do! Smile

Hope777

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of the things, and no good thing ever dies.
Shawshank Redemption

usbarbadosslim93
Forum Angel
barbadosslim93's picture
Thanks given: 562
Thanks received: 697
4 September 2013 - 1:51pm

Wow, that's a fat dog.

I have a Corgi that is about 40 pounds and we are working to get her weight down. I think she is just big boned and it is a challenge to exercise her as she has bad hips.

Still, she is nowhere near as fat as that dog.

ushope777
Forum Angel
hope777's picture
Thanks given: 1271
Thanks received: 903
4 September 2013 - 4:54pm

Did you see how good Obie looks now, though? The transformation is amazing. Poor dog had to go through the surgery to remove all that excess skin, too.

We have been struggling for years with Otis' weight. He also seems bigger than a "mini" dachsie, but smaller than a standard, yet both his parents were minis. Still, he could definitely drop a few, but it has been an ongoing battle, even though he likes his broccoli and cauliflower treats, lol. We always say it is "all muscle," lol

Hope777

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of the things, and no good thing ever dies.
Shawshank Redemption

usLuckyMe
Forum Angel
LuckyMe's picture
Thanks given: 163
Thanks received: 223
5 September 2013 - 12:28am

I'm glad the dog lost the weight. He just looks miserable in the photos. The lady really worked to get him healthy again. If the old owners got him back, he would probably weigh a couple pounds more in a week. He looks much happier now that he has lost weight. He has to be able to get around better.

Share this