usbarbadosslim93
Forum AngelForum Angel
barbadosslim93's picture
Thanks given: 849
Thanks received: 2155
1 August 2013 - 2:04pm

Back To School

4 replies • Last post

I am proud to announce that both me and my wife are heading back to school next month!

I have decided to try my hand with a second degree through an online college, while my wife will be transitioning to early childhood education by attending our local community college.

Has anyone done online classes before? I never have and am going to try to take as many as I can in a semester (the school is competency based, so you pay a flat rate for tuition and take as many classes as you want). I am trying to prep myself for the load I will be taking on.

ushope777
Forum AngelForum Angel
hope777's picture
Thanks given: 1393
Thanks received: 1043
5 August 2013 - 2:49am

Congrats, 'Slim! I am thinking about taking some more graduate level courses myself. If I can get 18 credits, I can be qualified to teach in more areas than just my field where I already hold a Master's degree.

I have never taken online courses, but I teach online courses part time and I just LOVE IT! I love working with adult learners. Can you share or even PM where you are enrolling?

One thing you want to be certain of is that the college is BOTH regionally and nationally acredited. That is very important to your degree.

I wish you and your wife the very best! I love school so much, my SIL used to call me a "professional student," but I haven't taken any courses now (except toward maintaining my licensure) since I completed my Master's degree in 2002.

I think you will love it! 🙂

usbarbadosslim93
Forum AngelForum Angel
barbadosslim93's picture
Thanks given: 849
Thanks received: 2155
5 August 2013 - 2:48pm

I am enrolled at Western Governors University. It is an accredited, non profit school from what I read and has a pretty good reputation from what I've read on it.

The thing I like about it is that it is knowledge based. You pay a flat rate for six months and take as many courses as you can fit in. I am thinking that since I normally don't sleep until 1-2 am that I could stand to do the work after my kids go to sleep.

ushope777
Forum AngelForum Angel
hope777's picture
Thanks given: 1393
Thanks received: 1043
5 August 2013 - 7:04pm
barbadosslim93 wrote:

I am enrolled at Western Governors University. It is an accredited, non profit school from what I read and has a pretty good reputation from what I've read on it.

The thing I like about it is that it is knowledge based. You pay a flat rate for six months and take as many courses as you can fit in. I am thinking that since I normally don't sleep until 1-2 am that I could stand to do the work after my kids go to sleep.

I obtained both of my degrees while raising my kids. Back in my day, they did not have online, so I actually took SOME independent studies through snail mail, lol! Really showing my age. However, if they had online back then, I would have been the perfect online student. I LOVE teaching online, and I love working with adult learners. I will have to check out that school. I am looking for FT work right now.

Good luck and good for you, 'Slim! 🙂

usLuckyMe
Forum AngelForum Angel
LuckyMe's picture
Thanks given: 163
Thanks received: 230
6 August 2013 - 1:22am

SLim, Sounds like you have a good plan while the kiddos are asleep. I wish you and your wife all A's. 🙂

barbadosslim93