usbarbadosslim93 Recently online: 23 min ago
Forum Angel
barbadosslim93's picture
Location: Michigan
Joined: 28 Jan 2011
Posts: 10769
Thanks given: 636
Thanks received: 1177
21 January 2019 - 10:40pm

The New Orleans Screwjob

13 replies • Last post

I don't know how many here are NFL fans, but last night was the Conference Championship rounds of the playoffs, with the winners going to the Super Bowl. The game between the New Orleans Saints and Los Angeles Rams was the subject of huge controversy, as a BLATANT penalty that would have effectively ended the game was not called, leaving time for the Rams to go down the field and score. If the penalty were called, the Saints would have been able to run the clock down to four seconds and kick a chip shot field goal to go to the Super Bowl.

What would your thoughts have been if you were a fan of the Saints? What about if you had money on the game? Just has to be crushing!

This call is so bad that many people are calling it the worst blunder in terms of officiating in the NFL's history.

What are your thoughts?

sharpe

auCL-Ed
StaffStaff
CL-Ed's picture
Location: Sydney
Joined: 7 Sep 2007
Posts: 8368
Thanks given: 4516
Thanks received: 3857
22 January 2019 - 12:30am
#1

This is not allowed? Isn't he just doing what all those big fridge sized guys are doing when they wrestle after the ball is snapped?

/obviously not a NFL watcher Wink

Always play it safe! Consult our list of rogue casinos and warnings before depositing at a new casino.
Post in our forums to earn CLchips which can be used to buy real prizes in our CLchips shop.

usbarbadosslim93 Recently online: 23 min ago
Forum Angel
barbadosslim93's picture
Location: Michigan
Joined: 28 Jan 2011
Posts: 10769
Thanks given: 636
Thanks received: 1177
22 January 2019 - 12:43am
#2

Yeah, as a defender you generally cannot have egregious physical contact with a receiver before the ball gets to him.

It’s interesting, as it really did cost the Saints a Super Bowl bid. Imagine how many people lost out on that blown call!

2 sharpe, coolsongss

auCL-Ed
StaffStaff
CL-Ed's picture
Location: Sydney
Joined: 7 Sep 2007
Posts: 8368
Thanks given: 4516
Thanks received: 3857
22 January 2019 - 12:49am
#3

I think this illustrates a universal truth that all sports players, coaches, and fans know:

Referees are crap.

lol

sharpe

Always play it safe! Consult our list of rogue casinos and warnings before depositing at a new casino.
Post in our forums to earn CLchips which can be used to buy real prizes in our CLchips shop.

bgsharpe
Forum Angel
sharpe's picture
Location: Sofia, Bulgaria
Joined: 4 Nov 2014
Posts: 6301
Thanks given: 2823
Thanks received: 864
22 January 2019 - 9:49am
#4

I'm a huge NFL fan Slim, the other day I was awake for the whole night watching both conference finals, it was like 6am here when the Chiefs - Patriots game has ended.

Both games have been great finishing in overtimes...especially the AFC final.

About New Orleans non call in the end - yeah it was quite obvious one and yes it's been a huge decision also but...

The Saints should blame themselves for not winning that one at first place I think.

They played really well in first quarter having 13-0 lead but not much offense since then...beside Rams rb Todd Gurley out for most of the game and that's been a significant loss for the Rams.

That game should of never been depended on a single refs decision I think (even when it's so obvious wrong one) if the Saints played their cards better I think...and beside they've had the first possession in the OT too and still didn't make nothing of it.

Don't get me wrong I like the Saints and their attractive style, but they should take a look at their own mistakes first and really for me they didn't play well enough this time...let's not forget the Eagles were pretty close of eliminating them in the previous round...so you know sometimes you'll win sometimes you'll loose those close ones.

bgsharpe
Forum Angel
sharpe's picture
Location: Sofia, Bulgaria
Joined: 4 Nov 2014
Posts: 6301
Thanks given: 2823
Thanks received: 864
22 January 2019 - 10:06am
#5

And what about the Chiefs - Patriots game...wow...most of experts thought the Patriots are done the way they performed in the regular season(too old and not enough talent there lol) but they really played a great game against probably the best offense in the league.

I know one thing, you can't written off like that an organization which have done so great over the years and they are institution in NFL really.

It's been really a pleasure to watch that one and the way had Patriots marched on the field for the biggest part of the game and in fact I think Chiefs have been a bit lucky to make a close game of that in the end..despite the great QB, tight end and a receiver(Hill) that they've got.

There's been quite a few controversial situations there too and despite they all gone the Patriots way I think the refs decisions have been spot on in any one of them.

What about that one? Smile

The future maybe belongs to the Chiefs(or Rams Wink ) but right now Belichick and his old dogs proved they still got it...I really hope they could win Super Bowl for yet another year and I think if they play like against the Chiefs..they probably would be.

To be honest I really like 3 of the 4 teams who reached the conf. finals and have nothing against the Chiefs but probably the two best performing(at least in the play-offs) have reached the big game.

bgsharpe
Forum Angel
sharpe's picture
Location: Sofia, Bulgaria
Joined: 4 Nov 2014
Posts: 6301
Thanks given: 2823
Thanks received: 864
22 January 2019 - 10:13am
#6
CL-Ed wrote:

This is not allowed? Isn't he just doing what all those big fridge sized guys are doing when they wrestle after the ball is snapped?

/obviously not a NFL watcher Wink

Common Ed...really!?! Wink

Yeah... it's quite obvious mate Tongue

usbarbadosslim93 Recently online: 23 min ago
Forum Angel
barbadosslim93's picture
Location: Michigan
Joined: 28 Jan 2011
Posts: 10769
Thanks given: 636
Thanks received: 1177
22 January 2019 - 5:31pm
#7
sharpe wrote:

And what about the Chiefs - Patriots game...wow...most of experts thought the Patriots are done the way they performed in the regular season(too old and not enough talent there lol) but they really played a great game against probably the best offense in the league.

I know one thing, you can't written off like that an organization which have done so great over the years and they are institution in NFL really.

It's been really a pleasure to watch that one and the way had Patriots marched on the field for the biggest part of the game and in fact I think Chiefs have been a bit lucky to make a close game of that in the end..despite the great QB, tight end and a receiver(Hill) that they've got.

There's been quite a few controversial situations there too and despite they all gone the Patriots way I think the refs decisions have been spot on in any one of them.

What about that one? Smile

The future maybe belongs to the Chiefs(or Rams Wink ) but right now Belichick and his old dogs proved they still got it...I really hope they could win Super Bowl for yet another year and I think if they play like against the Chiefs..they probably would be.

To be honest I really like 3 of the 4 teams who reached the conf. finals and have nothing against the Chiefs but probably the two best performing(at least in the play-offs) have reached the big game.

Oh yeah that was a HUGE call. I think it's pretty clear he didn't touch it (but by a hair), but I've heard a bunch of people claim that it was touched.

Either way, Mahomes is going to be a monster QB moving forward. As a Detroit Lions fan, I only wish we could have a competitive team one day.

sharpe

auCL-Ed
StaffStaff
CL-Ed's picture
Location: Sydney
Joined: 7 Sep 2007
Posts: 8368
Thanks given: 4516
Thanks received: 3857
23 January 2019 - 4:16am
#8

I don't know what the significance is of whether he touched it or not but...

The guy obviously didn't touch that ball with his hands. One angle showed it missing his left thumb, the other showed it missing his right, another showed it didn't touch his outstretched fingers of his left hand that were on the grass as it bounced. Why is that controversial?

And snicker at the term "muffed punt"... lots of ways that could go wrong. Wink

Always play it safe! Consult our list of rogue casinos and warnings before depositing at a new casino.
Post in our forums to earn CLchips which can be used to buy real prizes in our CLchips shop.

caWaroftheGods
True PlayerTrue Player
WaroftheGods's picture
Location: Calgary
Joined: 27 Sep 2017
Posts: 793
Thanks given: 315
Thanks received: 740
23 January 2019 - 8:58am
#9

Oh wow, he just went right after him eh, is he a little confused about what species he is? Just because he has a ram on his chest doesn't mean he is one.
I remember when the flames went to the Stanley cup finals against Tampa Bay, game 6, Iginla scored a goal that was completely across the line, a missed call by the refs didn't accept that goal which would have given the flames the Stanley Cup, instead Tampa won game 6 In Calgary, and game 7 In Tampa giving them the Stanley Cup instead.
With the available technology this day and age, what happened in slims clip above, in my opinion, should have never happen, in regards to the missed call I mean.
What a heartbreaker that is.

sharpe

bgsharpe
Forum Angel
sharpe's picture
Location: Sofia, Bulgaria
Joined: 4 Nov 2014
Posts: 6301
Thanks given: 2823
Thanks received: 864
23 January 2019 - 11:44am
#10
barbadosslim93 wrote:

Oh yeah that was a HUGE call. I think it's pretty clear he didn't touch it (but by a hair), but I've heard a bunch of people claim that it was touched.

Either way, Mahomes is going to be a monster QB moving forward. As a Detroit Lions fan, I only wish we could have a competitive team one day.

Yeah agree Slim, he didn't toughed it, luckily for the Patriots there was like 6 different camera angles to prove that cause the call on the field was ball recovered by the Chiefs so respectively it has to be clear and obvious and it was I think.
Beside the Edelman first reaction was like he didn't toughed it as he stand still, he would surely go after that ball if it's been the other way round, you could tell from the player body language sometimes.

As for the Lions, I don't know why they sacked their previous coach, they looked quite feisty team back then and always fought till the end, Stafford also had played better back then in my opinion and seems to me the offensive line couldn't give him enough time this season.

They looked kind of soft despite playing some good games this year..good luck to them anyway but not too much as I'm a Packers fan anyway Vicious

bgsharpe
Forum Angel
sharpe's picture
Location: Sofia, Bulgaria
Joined: 4 Nov 2014
Posts: 6301
Thanks given: 2823
Thanks received: 864
23 January 2019 - 12:17pm
#11
CL-Ed wrote:

I don't know what the significance is of whether he touched it or not but...

The guy obviously didn't touch that ball with his hands. One angle showed it missing his left thumb, the other showed it missing his right, another showed it didn't touch his outstretched fingers of his left hand that were on the grass as it bounced. Why is that controversial?

And snicker at the term "muffed punt"... lots of ways that could go wrong. Wink

Like Dustin said above it's been a huge call Ed.

Chiefs just took the lead for a first time in the game, the momentum's been completely on their side.

If that's been a touch, it's live ball and the punting team could recovered it and that's exactly what the Chiefs have done,they've recovered it and would of have the ball inside Patriots 20 yard line I believe it was with 4 point lead already by the time.

If there isn't a touch on the ball the receiving team getting the ball from the spot the ball stopped it's motion.

The call on the field has been a Chiefs ball i.e Edelman has touched it ,so it has to be clear and obvious(that's the term) by the camera replays(and sometimes it isn't) that he in fact didn't touched it for the call on the field to be overturn(I think they should implement that system of reviews in soccer too by the way)

So like I said above as well the Patriots have been quite lucky that there's been so many camera angles which clearly proved the ball hasn't been touched by the receiver which is the only way for the refs to overturn the wrong call on the field.

So in fact that wasn't a muffed punt despite it's been looking like one Smile

2 CL-Ed, barbadosslim93

bgsharpe
Forum Angel
sharpe's picture
Location: Sofia, Bulgaria
Joined: 4 Nov 2014
Posts: 6301
Thanks given: 2823
Thanks received: 864
23 January 2019 - 12:27pm
#12
WaroftheGods wrote:

Oh wow, he just went right after him eh, is he a little confused about what species he is? Just because he has a ram on his chest doesn't mean he is one.

LoL Thumb Up

WaroftheGods wrote:

I remember when the flames went to the Stanley cup finals against Tampa Bay, game 6, Iginla scored a goal that was completely across the line, a missed call by the refs didn't accept that goal which would have given the flames the Stanley Cup, instead Tampa won game 6 In Calgary, and game 7 In Tampa giving them the Stanley Cup instead.
With the available technology this day and age, what happened in slims clip above, in my opinion, should have never happen, in regards to the missed call I mean.
What a heartbreaker that is.

I can't remember that game man, maybe I hadn't seen that at all but it sounds like it's been quite dramatic.

I agree with you, that will probably never be missed nowadays with the overhead goal-line cameras could prove in probably 99% of the times whether or not the puck have crossed the line.

By the way both Flames and Lightning both are doing sensationally well this season so you could probably look forward and hope of another Stanley cup finals between those and who knows it could might be a somewhat of a redemption for your favorite Flames this time round.

usbarbadosslim93 Recently online: 23 min ago
Forum Angel
barbadosslim93's picture
Location: Michigan
Joined: 28 Jan 2011
Posts: 10769
Thanks given: 636
Thanks received: 1177
23 January 2019 - 1:47pm
#13
CL-Ed wrote:

I don't know what the significance is of whether he touched it or not but...

The guy obviously didn't touch that ball with his hands. One angle showed it missing his left thumb, the other showed it missing his right, another showed it didn't touch his outstretched fingers of his left hand that were on the grass as it bounced. Why is that controversial?

And snicker at the term "muffed punt"... lots of ways that could go wrong. Wink

Yeah, muffed is certainly a good term. There was a kicker the other week who missed a game winning field goal that hit two posts. They were calling that the "double donger". lol

2 CL-Ed, sharpe

Post new comment

Have something to say? Agree or disagree? Tell us what you think!

Login using your social network account
Or log in with a Casino Listings account

Login or register to post comments

Registering for an account takes less than a minute and you will be brought right back here to comment afterwards.