0
$ £
ushope777
Forum Angel
hope777's picture
Location: Minnesota USA
Joined: 1 Jan 2011
Posts: 12171
Thanks given: 955
Thanks received: 717
9 April 2012 - 11:13pm

Funny Texas Hold'em Experience

12 replies • Last post

Hello Friends,

I am having a lazy afternoon, so I decided to play a little poker at Bovada. My usual nickels and dimes. I am a big spender, so I started with five dollars, lol. It's been a while since I was hooked on this game, so I really need the practice.

Anyhoo.........a little background on me: I am a CHICKEN, or what some may call a very cautious poker player. I am also very cheap, lol, even when I play slots, the most I will spin is a 60 cent bet (well, I guess I lied, because I will play 88 cents when I play Lucky Tiger, but only because that is the minimum spin.

So I am playing a hand, and I have two Kings. The way the cards are layed out, I know that I might not have the highest hand, because my opponent could easily had a flush or a straight or even a pair of Aces. So this guy starts betting like crazy, and I am like "oh no!" because my first impulse would be to back out by folding. However, I meet his bet a couple of time, and by the time all cards are down, I STILL have only the pair of kings, and he decides to go all in for three dollars and something on top of what is already in the pot.
Remember, these are very low stakes games, where the max you can begin with is five bucks, lol.

I was SO darn close to chickening out and folding, when I suddenly got really brave and called this guy on his bet, and he had NOTHING! lol!

The funny part is player five then chats to player one, "You can't bluff number 4 (ME). HE doesn't fold." haha! If they only knew how often I DO fold. So, I chat back, "HE is a SHE," and number 4 and number 1 say, "sorry m'am." haha! Then he says, "SHE doesn't fold." I just got a kick out of this, because now I have a reputation at the table for NOT folding, when I am probably the most cautious player there. I ended up sending poor number 1 from the table, in the end, because he went all again, and I beat him bringing his balance to ZERO, and he immediately left the table, poor guy.

One more note, and my apologies for such a long post: Just something little, but I wish Bovada used User Names in the poker rooms, like most do, instead of being a number one through six.

Does anyone have any funny, good, or exciting card playing experiences, like with poker or even blackjack where you invested a lot through splitting cards, etc. (My brother had an awesome experience at our land casino trip where he split 8s three times, and he ended up with like 60 bucks out there on a 5-dollar table, and the dealer busted. If only I could be that lucky when I play blackjack, but I never am, which is why it is not my game).

1 member gave thanks for this useful post: noctipaulo

Hope777

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of the things, and no good thing ever dies.
Shawshank Redemption

usLuckyMe
Forum Angel
LuckyMe's picture
Location: Ohio, USA
Joined: 10 Dec 2011
Posts: 7400
Thanks given: 163
Thanks received: 222
10 April 2012 - 3:34am
#1

Hope, I enjoyed reading your story. How much did you end up winning on that hand? Thanks for the chuckle. Smile

auCL-Ed
StaffStaff
CL-Ed's picture
Location: Sydney
Joined: 7 Sep 2007
Posts: 6124
Thanks given: 2477
Thanks received: 1773
10 April 2012 - 4:26am
#2

Nice story. Its funny you say that about the user names. Bodog deliberately decided to stop showing the user names of players last year in an effort to discourage poker mining applications. There is software that can record every hand you play and this enables other players to get a better idea about your play style, how often you fold or call etc. By removing the user names they hope to stop people from being able to use such software.

Always play it safe! Consult our list of rogue casinos and warnings before depositing.
Every comment you make in our forum earns you CLchips which can be used to buy real prizes in our CLchips shop!

ushope777
Forum Angel
hope777's picture
Location: Minnesota USA
Joined: 1 Jan 2011
Posts: 12171
Thanks given: 955
Thanks received: 717
10 April 2012 - 5:58am
#3
CL-Ed wrote:

Nice story. Its funny you say that about the user names. Bodog deliberately decided to stop showing the user names of players last year in an effort to discourage poker mining applications. There is software that can record every hand you play and this enables other players to get a better idea about your play style, how often you fold or call etc. By removing the user names they hope to stop people from being able to use such software.

Oh! Well, that is interesting. I have heard of that software before. Now players can't keep track of frequent players. That makes total sense. Thanks for enlightening me, once again! Smile

Hope777

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of the things, and no good thing ever dies.
Shawshank Redemption

ushope777
Forum Angel
hope777's picture
Location: Minnesota USA
Joined: 1 Jan 2011
Posts: 12171
Thanks given: 955
Thanks received: 717
10 April 2012 - 6:00am
#4
LuckyMe wrote:

Hope, I enjoyed reading your story. How much did you end up winning on that hand? Thanks for the chuckle. Smile

I am not sure how much I even made on that hand, but I think the person went all-in for like 3.24 and that is when I called, so probably between three and four dollars in the nickel and dime room. The average pot in that room is probably about 1.20 or so, and that is AVERAGE.

It was fun playing today. It has been a long time. Smile

Hope777

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of the things, and no good thing ever dies.
Shawshank Redemption

ushope777
Forum Angel
hope777's picture
Location: Minnesota USA
Joined: 1 Jan 2011
Posts: 12171
Thanks given: 955
Thanks received: 717
24 April 2012 - 1:58am
#5

Sometimes, I just have to scratch my head. I just played a hand of Hold'Em, and this person is betting me up like crazy. I had two pair, and I was worried (as I always am) that the other player had three of a kind or higher pairs, cuz through the entire flop and turn, they are betting, betting, and big bets for the nickel/dime room like 65 and 95 cents and then we get to the river card, and I bet 10 cents. After all the betting me up the player FOLDS!!! On the final card, the river! What the heck? lol! Maybe they were bluffing then chickened out? I guess I will never know.

Hope777

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of the things, and no good thing ever dies.
Shawshank Redemption

ushope777
Forum Angel
hope777's picture
Location: Minnesota USA
Joined: 1 Jan 2011
Posts: 12171
Thanks given: 955
Thanks received: 717
24 April 2012 - 2:12am
#6

OMGosh, OMGosh, OMGosh, it happened again. Someone tried to bluff me and they went in ALL IN with a pair of TWOS!!! I almost chickened out again, but hung tight, and I just won 21.40 , which is HUGE for these nickel and dime rooms, lol, but calling this person's bluff! I am so proud of myself for not clicking that FOLD button. Poker can really get exciting. I haven't played in so long, and now I remember why I liked it so much!!!

Hope777

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of the things, and no good thing ever dies.
Shawshank Redemption

auCL-Ed
StaffStaff
CL-Ed's picture
Location: Sydney
Joined: 7 Sep 2007
Posts: 6124
Thanks given: 2477
Thanks received: 1773
24 April 2012 - 5:35am
#7

I love catching someone in a bluff. You have to be careful at the tiny tables though because loads of people just stay in every hand because its so cheap and they often catch a winning hand on the river. It can be quite frustrating. But if you play tight and smart you can win a few bucks almost every time you play.

1 member gave thanks for this useful post: barbadosslim93

Always play it safe! Consult our list of rogue casinos and warnings before depositing.
Every comment you make in our forum earns you CLchips which can be used to buy real prizes in our CLchips shop!

usbarbadosslim93
Forum Angel
barbadosslim93's picture
Location: Michigan
Joined: 28 Jan 2011
Posts: 7779
Thanks given: 535
Thanks received: 498
24 April 2012 - 4:01pm
#8

Good advice, Ed. And GOOD for you Hope!

I am still building up my poker knowledge... maybe I will catch you in a game sometime! That would be an interesting story for the forums...

ptnoctipaulo
Bronze PlayerBronze Player
noctipaulo's picture
Joined: 14 Mar 2012
Posts: 226
Thanks given: 30
Thanks received: 55
24 April 2012 - 4:07pm
#9

Heheheeee, Hope. Your story is very funny. Loved the first two paragraphs.
Well, i also enjoy to play poker and must admit i'm a horrible player. So i just play tournaments at betvictor with a 0.59 fee...lol.

ushope777
Forum Angel
hope777's picture
Location: Minnesota USA
Joined: 1 Jan 2011
Posts: 12171
Thanks given: 955
Thanks received: 717
24 April 2012 - 4:56pm
#10
CL-Ed wrote:

I love catching someone in a bluff. You have to be careful at the tiny tables though because loads of people just stay in every hand because its so cheap and they often catch a winning hand on the river. It can be quite frustrating. But if you play tight and smart you can win a few bucks almost every time you play.

Very true! There are a lot of loose players in these lower-bet rooms. I have to try hard to be very patient and wait for the right cards. Which is why I often play while I am watching TV or a movie, lol. I am sure I have folded sometimes when I shouldn't have, but those times I just had a strong feeling. You can also observe how they are playing in the hands that I fold, and some just bet like crazy with nothing at all.

Hope777

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of the things, and no good thing ever dies.
Shawshank Redemption

ushope777
Forum Angel
hope777's picture
Location: Minnesota USA
Joined: 1 Jan 2011
Posts: 12171
Thanks given: 955
Thanks received: 717
24 April 2012 - 4:58pm
#11
barbadosslim93 wrote:

Good advice, Ed. And GOOD for you Hope!

I am still building up my poker knowledge... maybe I will catch you in a game sometime! That would be an interesting story for the forums...

That would be fun! Let me know when and where. lol Smile

Also, I am certainly no expert, and there is always more to learn, which is why I stay in the nickel and dime, and sometimes the dime and quarter rooms. lol

Hope777

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of the things, and no good thing ever dies.
Shawshank Redemption

ushope777
Forum Angel
hope777's picture
Location: Minnesota USA
Joined: 1 Jan 2011
Posts: 12171
Thanks given: 955
Thanks received: 717
24 April 2012 - 5:01pm
#12
noctipaulo wrote:

Heheheeee, Hope. Your story is very funny. Loved the first two paragraphs.
Well, i also enjoy to play poker and must admit i'm a horrible player. So i just play tournaments at betvictor with a 0.59 fee...lol.

Thanks, 'Paulo! Smile

Like I said, I am certainly no expert when it comes to poker. There is MUCH I should be studying and learning about the game, but it is all in good fun. Also, to play you HAVE to have the cards. Part of the challenge is waiting until you DO have the cards to get into the game. A lot of patience is required to play this game, IMO.

I played poker online WAY before I ever got into slots and online casinos, and I have always enjoyed it. I used to play live games at the local bowling alley/bar, too, one night per week. The games are free, so nothing to lose. Keep playing, and you will pick up little bits of knowledge along the way, plus there is a TON of tips, info, and strategies out there on the web, of course. Smile

Hope777

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of the things, and no good thing ever dies.
Shawshank Redemption

Share this