usLuckyMe
Forum AngelForum Angel
LuckyMe's picture
Thanks given: 163
Thanks received: 226
18 January 2012 - 1:25am

What were some of your favorite childhood toys?

34 replies • Last post
Click to show this thread's original post ▼

I remember I had a bride's doll. It was almost as tall as I was.

I remember playing jacks and it was fun.

We had chinese jump rope. We played it everyday at school unless it rained or the weather was bad.

usLuckyMe
Forum AngelForum Angel
LuckyMe's picture
Thanks given: 163
Thanks received: 226
27 January 2012 - 6:20am
CL-Ed wrote:

So true. In fact every birthday I am looking at boardgamegeek.com for ideas (might post that in the sites thread). We bought little miss a tile placement game called The Kids of Carcassonne a while back and its excellent. She also loves a game of Uno and Guess Who. Speaking of Guess Who my wife's boss was recently in a meeting with some people from Hasbro pitching an idea for a new product (she works for a toy wholesaler), and they told him that in a good year the woman who invented Guess Who earns around $35 million in royalties!

My daughter also likes Hello Kitty. We were just looking at the website with her the other day and reading about all the characters together.

I still love Uno. We used to play it at the holidays with all the relatives I've never heard of Guess Who. I will look it up online. $35 million!! Wow, get those thinking caps on. 🙂

ushope777
Forum AngelForum Angel
hope777's picture
Thanks given: 1393
Thanks received: 1038
27 January 2012 - 6:43am
CL-Ed wrote:

In 20 or 30 years my kids might post on a thread like this and they'll be reminiscing about bloody iPhones! We can't go anywhere without them bugging me to pull it out so they can play their favourite games.

Also maybe I have a bad memory and it was the same when I was a kid (I don't think it was) but the sheer number of toys that kids have these days is mind boggling. I don't think many of the toys will be special to my kids because they are so fickle and lose interest in most of them shortly after getting them. We're trying to stop friends and relatives from buying them toys at birthdays, Christmas etc because they already have more than they could ever play with.

Kids these days! Now git off my lawn!

LOL, CL-Ed! I know what you mean, though! And all the advertisements so blatantly aimed at them; how can we expect them to remain interested in anything for too long before the next cool thing comes along? The choices for everything today are mind boggling. Even when I go into the grocery store, and take the cereal aisle for example, I can't believe how many choices there are or how they keep coming out with more and more and more and more....

And we wonder why so many children are diagnosed with "ADHD?" I feel like I have ADD, sometimes, when I am in the store!

Yes, it is the day and age of "instant gratification," too, and I don't envy parents who have to battle society, their children's peers and all the rest to keep some sort of values and gratefulness in their children.

ushope777
Forum AngelForum Angel
hope777's picture
27 January 2012 - 6:44am
Ubetcha wrote:

Hello Kitty was the big thing when I was growing up. Mostly, I collected Hello Kitty stationery. Today, I still love them. They are adorable and so cute!

http://www.sanrio.com/

=^. .^=

My son's friend LOVES Hello Kitty! You must be a bit younger than I am, Ubetcha. 🙂

ushope777
Forum AngelForum Angel
hope777's picture
27 January 2012 - 6:52am
CL-Ed wrote:

So true. In fact every birthday I am looking at boardgamegeek.com for ideas (might post that in the sites thread). We bought little miss a tile placement game called The Kids of Carcassonne a while back and its excellent. She also loves a game of Uno and Guess Who. Speaking of Guess Who my wife's boss was recently in a meeting with some people from Hasbro pitching an idea for a new product (she works for a toy wholesaler), and they told him that in a good year the woman who invented Guess Who earns around $35 million in royalties!

My daughter also likes Hello Kitty. We were just looking at the website with her the other day and reading about all the characters together.

Wow, that is an incredible amount of Royalties! We, as a family, are really big on board games and card games. Grew up playing with my grandma and my mom and my mom and dad's friends, too. I talk my grown sons into playing games, once in a while, and I always play games with my mom when I visit her.

This is a very simple game that I absolutely love to play and it is for all ages. Not an "old" game, but a favorite, probably because it is so simple and easy...but fun! It is called whoonu by Cranium.

http://www.amazon.com/Cranium-16512-Whoonu-Tin-Edition/dp/B0017U4MMO/ref...

We are also big on word games, and Quiddler is a fun word/card game:

http://www.amazon.com/Everest-Toys-5000-Quiddler/dp/B00000IV95/ref=sr_1_...

One more fun card game that my middle son owns, called "Five Crowns."

http://www.amazon.com/Everest-Toys-4001-Five-Crowns/dp/B00000IV35/ref=sr...

I have a couple of more game recommendations and also a game story (speaking of those royalties!), but I am so sleepy I can't keep my eyes open, so I am signing off for the night. 😴