0
$ £
usLuckyMe
Forum Angel
LuckyMe's picture
Location: Ohio, USA
Joined: 10 Dec 2011
Posts: 7400
Thanks given: 163
Thanks received: 222
18 January 2012 - 1:25am

What were some of your favorite childhood toys?

34 replies • Last post

I remember I had a bride's doll. It was almost as tall as I was.

I remember playing jacks and it was fun.

We had chinese jump rope. We played it everyday at school unless it rained or the weather was bad.

ushope777
Forum Angel
hope777's picture
Location: Minnesota USA
Joined: 1 Jan 2011
Posts: 12171
Thanks given: 955
Thanks received: 717
18 January 2012 - 2:18am
#1

I had a doll named, "Poor Pitiful Pearl." She had a homely face (or a face only a mother could love, as my mom would say, lol). She came with a ragged, ugly dress and a pretty pink dress. I fell in love with her. My mom said there were many beautiful dolls with pretty faces, but I wanted her so more than anything. I guess I always did go for "the underdog," even then. lol

I also loved my "click clacks." They were heavy glass balls on the end of a string, and you would get them clicking and clacking together, back and forth. Turned out to be a very dangerous toy, and they were banned.

Here is a photo of click clacks. Ours were heavy glass, though, and these look like plastic, which is much safer, I am sure.

I played jacks, too, and marbles (had quite the collection). I did jump roping, too. That is really good exercise!

click clacks.jpg

Hope777

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of the things, and no good thing ever dies.
Shawshank Redemption

ushope777
Forum Angel
hope777's picture
Location: Minnesota USA
Joined: 1 Jan 2011
Posts: 12171
Thanks given: 955
Thanks received: 717
18 January 2012 - 2:19am
#2

Here is the Poor Pitiful Pearl doll, but like I said, mine came with a pretty, pink party dress, too. I wish I still had her!

Poor pitiful pearl.jpg

Hope777

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of the things, and no good thing ever dies.
Shawshank Redemption

ushope777
Forum Angel
hope777's picture
Location: Minnesota USA
Joined: 1 Jan 2011
Posts: 12171
Thanks given: 955
Thanks received: 717
18 January 2012 - 2:21am
#3

Here is the one with both dresses.

Poor pitiful pearl pink.jpg

Hope777

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of the things, and no good thing ever dies.
Shawshank Redemption

usLuckyMe
Forum Angel
LuckyMe's picture
Location: Ohio, USA
Joined: 10 Dec 2011
Posts: 7400
Thanks given: 163
Thanks received: 222
18 January 2012 - 4:27am
#4
hope777 wrote:

I had a doll named, "Poor Pitiful Pearl." She had a homely face (or a face only a mother could love, as my mom would say, lol). She came with a ragged, ugly dress and a pretty pink dress. I fell in love with her. My mom said there were many beautiful dolls with pretty faces, but I wanted her so more than anything. I guess I always did go for "the underdog," even then. lol

I also loved my "click clacks." They were heavy glass balls on the end of a string, and you would get them clicking and clacking together, back and forth. Turned out to be a very dangerous toy, and they were banned.

Here is a photo of click clacks. Ours were heavy glass, though, and these look like plastic, which is much safer, I am sure.

I played jacks, too, and marbles (had quite the collection). I did jump roping, too. That is really good exercise!

Oh yes, we had clackers (as we called them too). I think it was in 7th grade. I had many nice bruises around my wrist. I can still hear the sound of them. Child abuse toys.......Smile

usLuckyMe
Forum Angel
LuckyMe's picture
Location: Ohio, USA
Joined: 10 Dec 2011
Posts: 7400
Thanks given: 163
Thanks received: 222
18 January 2012 - 4:29am
#5
hope777 wrote:

Here is the Poor Pitiful Pearl doll, but like I said, mine came with a pretty, pink party dress, too. I wish I still had her!

Wow, she ranges from about $20.00 to $179.00 now on Ebay.

ushope777
Forum Angel
hope777's picture
Location: Minnesota USA
Joined: 1 Jan 2011
Posts: 12171
Thanks given: 955
Thanks received: 717
18 January 2012 - 6:49pm
#6

I know! One reason I wish I still had her, lol! I LOVED click clacks and I was so sad when they were taken away. I loved the sound of them, too. Some kids were getting hit in the head with them or the ball would fly off the end and cause great damage. "They" always spoil all of our fun, lol!

Hope777

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of the things, and no good thing ever dies.
Shawshank Redemption

usLuckyMe
Forum Angel
LuckyMe's picture
Location: Ohio, USA
Joined: 10 Dec 2011
Posts: 7400
Thanks given: 163
Thanks received: 222
21 January 2012 - 12:13am
#7

I used to have a give a show projector. That was fun to show slides on the wall.

ushope777
Forum Angel
hope777's picture
Location: Minnesota USA
Joined: 1 Jan 2011
Posts: 12171
Thanks given: 955
Thanks received: 717
21 January 2012 - 5:45pm
#8

That sounds like fun!

I used to love my "Lite Brite." Do you remember those?

I also just HAD to have an Easy Bake Oven, and I made my mom and dad many of those gross little cakes, lol!

Hope777

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of the things, and no good thing ever dies.
Shawshank Redemption

usLuckyMe
Forum Angel
LuckyMe's picture
Location: Ohio, USA
Joined: 10 Dec 2011
Posts: 7400
Thanks given: 163
Thanks received: 222
22 January 2012 - 2:54am
#9
hope777 wrote:

That sounds like fun!

I used to love my "Lite Brite." Do you remember those?

I also just HAD to have an Easy Bake Oven, and I made my mom and dad many of those gross little cakes, lol!

I remember my brother had a Burger Chef kit. I know it came with hats and some other stuff. Doesn't sound like much fun and what would he sell? Does anyone remember Burger Chef? They had some good hamburgers, when hamburgers were really meat and bread actually did decompose.

ushope777
Forum Angel
hope777's picture
Location: Minnesota USA
Joined: 1 Jan 2011
Posts: 12171
Thanks given: 955
Thanks received: 717
22 January 2012 - 8:33pm
#10

That reminds me of the coolest toy I had from my Grandma, and I wish wish wish I still had it. She had it for years, and she would only let us take it out, now and then. When I was old enough, she gave it to me, but it was destroyed. Sad

It was a mechanical dog with a chef hat on. He stood next to a stove with a frying pan. It came with little burgers, and everything was metal, NOT plastic. You turned it on, and put the little burger in the pan. He would move back and forth, then flip the burger. When he flipped the burger, his eyes would go up and it was so darn cute. That toy HAD to be VERY VERY old, and how I wish I still had that toy! Sad

Hope777

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of the things, and no good thing ever dies.
Shawshank Redemption

usLuckyMe
Forum Angel
LuckyMe's picture
Location: Ohio, USA
Joined: 10 Dec 2011
Posts: 7400
Thanks given: 163
Thanks received: 222
22 January 2012 - 10:14pm
#11
hope777 wrote:

That reminds me of the coolest toy I had from my Grandma, and I wish wish wish I still had it. She had it for years, and she would only let us take it out, now and then. When I was old enough, she gave it to me, but it was destroyed. Sad

It was a mechanical dog with a chef hat on. He stood next to a stove with a frying pan. It came with little burgers, and everything was metal, NOT plastic. You turned it on, and put the little burger in the pan. He would move back and forth, then flip the burger. When he flipped the burger, his eyes would go up and it was so darn cute. That toy HAD to be VERY VERY old, and how I wish I still had that toy! Sad

That is cool. I'm sure the Burger Chef set probably had french fries and hamburgers and things like that. It was so nice how everything used to be quality made, not like this planned obsolescence crap of today. My bride doll got destroyed too. All I have left is the veil. I remember my mom made me keep her in the cedar chest and I was only allowed to get her out occasionally until one day she just let me have her. Big mistake.

ushope777
Forum Angel
hope777's picture
Location: Minnesota USA
Joined: 1 Jan 2011
Posts: 12171
Thanks given: 955
Thanks received: 717
23 January 2012 - 1:33am
#12

I know! My mom let me sell all my dolls, including Barbie dolls with tons of clothes and accessories in a GARAGE SALE! Well at 10 or 12 a girl is thinking about growing out of dolls and more about cash and never about VALUE! I so wish she would have packed them all up and put them away, but I guess they would have been gone by now, anyway, due to our fire.

My mom was so sweet. She used to make (sew) tons of clothes for my dolls and for my Barbies, too. She even made a few of my outfits to match the outfits the dolls wore, so we matched, lol! I have a few pictures of those outfits. Can you tell she was happy to have a little girl after four boys? haha!

Hope777

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of the things, and no good thing ever dies.
Shawshank Redemption

usLuckyMe
Forum Angel
LuckyMe's picture
Location: Ohio, USA
Joined: 10 Dec 2011
Posts: 7400
Thanks given: 163
Thanks received: 222
23 January 2012 - 4:42am
#13
hope777 wrote:

I know! My mom let me sell all my dolls, including Barbie dolls with tons of clothes and accessories in a GARAGE SALE! Well at 10 or 12 a girl is thinking about growing out of dolls and more about cash and never about VALUE! I so wish she would have packed them all up and put them away, but I guess they would have been gone by now, anyway, due to our fire.

My mom was so sweet. She used to make (sew) tons of clothes for my dolls and for my Barbies, too. She even made a few of my outfits to match the outfits the dolls wore, so we matched, lol! I have a few pictures of those outfits. Can you tell she was happy to have a little girl after four boys? haha!

Wow, what a mom! That is great. Good choice to sell the dolls because someone is enjoying them. As you said they would have been ruined in the fire probably. I sold my dolls at a yard sale. They were like the 18" collector type dolls. Some of the girls were just starting their collections so I was tickled that they were excited about having the dolls plus I knew they would take care of them. I had just outgrown them and have never missed them. Getting rid of things I don't use was a big burden lifted off my shoulders. It's like sometimes we own stuff and sometimes it owns us.

ushope777
Forum Angel
hope777's picture
Location: Minnesota USA
Joined: 1 Jan 2011
Posts: 12171
Thanks given: 955
Thanks received: 717
23 January 2012 - 4:49am
#14

But, LM, imagine how much those BARBIES would get me on Ebay! LOL! Old Barbie dolls really are worth quite a bit of money now, aren't they? My SIL has started to collect, I think, and she is always looking for Barbie "stuff."

Hope777

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of the things, and no good thing ever dies.
Shawshank Redemption

usLuckyMe
Forum Angel
LuckyMe's picture
Location: Ohio, USA
Joined: 10 Dec 2011
Posts: 7400
Thanks given: 163
Thanks received: 222
23 January 2012 - 5:02am
#15
hope777 wrote:

But, LM, imagine how much those BARBIES would get me on Ebay! LOL! Old Barbie dolls really are worth quite a bit of money now, aren't they? My SIL has started to collect, I think, and she is always looking for Barbie "stuff."

Yes, they go for a fortune. I was thinking you would have saved them up until the fire. If you had sold them before that though you would be a lot richer. Who knew back then though what toys would be worth what? I know there are some people who today buy toys and never take them out of the box, hoping they will appreciate. I would love to do that if I had a big storage area where they would not deteriorate.

usLuckyMe
Forum Angel
LuckyMe's picture
Location: Ohio, USA
Joined: 10 Dec 2011
Posts: 7400
Thanks given: 163
Thanks received: 222
23 January 2012 - 5:04am
#16

I thought about collecting Barbies years ago. I have a whole bunch of them but they are not the really old ones. I also bought a Barbie collecting book, looked at it once or twice and just didn't pick up the interest.

auCL-Ed
StaffStaff
CL-Ed's picture
Location: Sydney
Joined: 7 Sep 2007
Posts: 6148
Thanks given: 2485
Thanks received: 1781
25 January 2012 - 4:57am
#17

Nintendo Game and Watch's were a craze when I was at school. Every kid had to have one and I guess everyone was walking around the school like zombies playing them because the school banned them.

This is one that I had - it was called Green House and you had to spray bugs and spiders in a greenhouse. I had others too - Mickey and Donald, Rain Shower and Donkey Kong. They were so simple compared to today's video games.

And yes my mother sold them in a garage sale for cents, and now they sell for hundreds, although mine would have been fairly trashed as they were played so much.

green-house-gaw.jpg

Always play it safe! Consult our list of rogue casinos and warnings before depositing.
Every comment you make in our forum earns you CLchips which can be used to buy real prizes in our CLchips shop!

usLuckyMe
Forum Angel
LuckyMe's picture
Location: Ohio, USA
Joined: 10 Dec 2011
Posts: 7400
Thanks given: 163
Thanks received: 222
25 January 2012 - 5:02am
#18
CL-Ed wrote:

Nintendo Game and Watch's were a craze when I was at school. Every kid had to have one and I guess everyone was walking around the school like zombies playing them because the school banned them.

This is one that I had - it was called Green House and you had to spray bugs and spiders in a greenhouse. I had others too - Mickey and Donald, Rain Shower and Donkey Kong. They were so simple compared to today's video games.

And yes my mother sold them in a garage sale for cents, and now they sell for hundreds, although mine would have been fairly trashed as they were played so much.

We bought one of the first pong games. I know it was over $100.00 way back then and that was a lot of money. I tried to sell it at a garage sale for $5.00 years later and no one would buy it. I think I donated it to Goodwill. Now they are selling for some decent dollars.

auCL-Ed
StaffStaff
CL-Ed's picture
Location: Sydney
Joined: 7 Sep 2007
Posts: 6148
Thanks given: 2485
Thanks received: 1781
25 January 2012 - 6:11am
#19

Oh yeah I imagine an original Pong would be worth heaps if it was in good condition. Actually its about $150 to $250 according to this:
http://www.pong-story.com/odyssey.htm

Always play it safe! Consult our list of rogue casinos and warnings before depositing.
Every comment you make in our forum earns you CLchips which can be used to buy real prizes in our CLchips shop!

usLuckyMe
Forum Angel
LuckyMe's picture
Location: Ohio, USA
Joined: 10 Dec 2011
Posts: 7400
Thanks given: 163
Thanks received: 222
25 January 2012 - 6:25am
#20
CL-Ed wrote:

Oh yeah I imagine an original Pong would be worth heaps if it was in good condition. Actually its about $150 to $250 according to this:
http://www.pong-story.com/odyssey.htm

It was in perfect condition. I got so good at that. I played it several years ago and could hardly sit still it was so boring.

ushope777
Forum Angel
hope777's picture
Location: Minnesota USA
Joined: 1 Jan 2011
Posts: 12171
Thanks given: 955
Thanks received: 717
25 January 2012 - 5:32pm
#21

Anything vintage is going for a fortune on Ebay right now. Even old JC Penneys and Sears wishbooks are bringing in from 50 to 100 dollars. Nostalgia is BIG right now!

Hope777

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of the things, and no good thing ever dies.
Shawshank Redemption

ushope777
Forum Angel
hope777's picture
Location: Minnesota USA
Joined: 1 Jan 2011
Posts: 12171
Thanks given: 955
Thanks received: 717
25 January 2012 - 5:37pm
#22
CL-Ed wrote:

Nintendo Game and Watch's were a craze when I was at school. Every kid had to have one and I guess everyone was walking around the school like zombies playing them because the school banned them.

This is one that I had - it was called Green House and you had to spray bugs and spiders in a greenhouse. I had others too - Mickey and Donald, Rain Shower and Donkey Kong. They were so simple compared to today's video games.

And yes my mother sold them in a garage sale for cents, and now they sell for hundreds, although mine would have been fairly trashed as they were played so much.

Funny, too, how many men talk about how their moms selling those baseball cards that were "in the attic' and would have made them millionaires, lol. My brothers had tons of those .45 records, too, and I had a few.

My boys were into GameBoys, and for a while some restaurants would hand them to kids while families were waiting for their food. Nothing like encouraging a nice, family conversation, lol!

Hope777

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of the things, and no good thing ever dies.
Shawshank Redemption

usLuckyMe
Forum Angel
LuckyMe's picture
Location: Ohio, USA
Joined: 10 Dec 2011
Posts: 7400
Thanks given: 163
Thanks received: 222
25 January 2012 - 11:10pm
#23
hope777 wrote:

Anything vintage is going for a fortune on Ebay right now. Even old JC Penneys and Sears wishbooks are bringing in from 50 to 100 dollars. Nostalgia is BIG right now!

I think that's why it's so fun to go to garage sales. Sometimes it's junk, but a lot of times there are great things for cheap prices.

usLuckyMe
Forum Angel
LuckyMe's picture
Location: Ohio, USA
Joined: 10 Dec 2011
Posts: 7400
Thanks given: 163
Thanks received: 222
25 January 2012 - 11:14pm
#24
hope777 wrote:

Funny, too, how many men talk about how their moms selling those baseball cards that were "in the attic' and would have made them millionaires, lol. My brothers had tons of those .45 records, too, and I had a few.

My boys were into GameBoys, and for a while some restaurants would hand them to kids while families were waiting for their food. Nothing like encouraging a nice, family conversation, lol!

Hard to carry on a conversation while playing a game. I guess the restaurant just wanted return business. What a great giveaway though. I hate it when they have tvs in restaurants. It's hard to carry on a conversation with the tv blaring. It's not just one tv, there is usually one in every corner. I even asked a lady to turn one off when we were located right in front of it. She didn't do it though. I guess she couldn't miss Judge Judy. Sad I can see tvs in a sports bar or someplace you go to specifically to watch tv while you eat. I want to get away from all the noise and distraction of the tvs though.

ushope777
Forum Angel
hope777's picture
Location: Minnesota USA
Joined: 1 Jan 2011
Posts: 12171
Thanks given: 955
Thanks received: 717
26 January 2012 - 7:37pm
#25

Not a giveaway, but something they kept up front for the kids to just use while the family waited for the food.

I feel the same about the TVs. You expect this in a sports bar, but sometimes we go out to get AWAY from noise and televisions.

I am trying to think of other childhood toys now. This one was a favorite of mine. I begged for it, and I must have been spoiled, because I got it for bday or Christmas:

Hippity Hop! Smile

Hippity Hop!.jpg

Hope777

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of the things, and no good thing ever dies.
Shawshank Redemption

auCL-Ed
StaffStaff
CL-Ed's picture
Location: Sydney
Joined: 7 Sep 2007
Posts: 6148
Thanks given: 2485
Thanks received: 1781
27 January 2012 - 4:18am
#26

In 20 or 30 years my kids might post on a thread like this and they'll be reminiscing about bloody iPhones! We can't go anywhere without them bugging me to pull it out so they can play their favourite games.

Also maybe I have a bad memory and it was the same when I was a kid (I don't think it was) but the sheer number of toys that kids have these days is mind boggling. I don't think many of the toys will be special to my kids because they are so fickle and lose interest in most of them shortly after getting them. We're trying to stop friends and relatives from buying them toys at birthdays, Christmas etc because they already have more than they could ever play with.

Kids these days! Now git off my lawn!

Always play it safe! Consult our list of rogue casinos and warnings before depositing.
Every comment you make in our forum earns you CLchips which can be used to buy real prizes in our CLchips shop!

usUbetcha
True PlayerTrue Player
Ubetcha's picture
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 880
Thanks given: 222
Thanks received: 84
27 January 2012 - 4:47am
#27

Hello Kitty was the big thing when I was growing up. Mostly, I collected Hello Kitty stationery. Today, I still love them. They are adorable and so cute!

http://www.sanrio.com/

=^. .^=

Y'all take care.. =^. .^=

usLuckyMe
Forum Angel
LuckyMe's picture
Location: Ohio, USA
Joined: 10 Dec 2011
Posts: 7400
Thanks given: 163
Thanks received: 222
27 January 2012 - 5:07am
#28
CL-Ed wrote:

In 20 or 30 years my kids might post on a thread like this and they'll be reminiscing about bloody iPhones! We can't go anywhere without them bugging me to pull it out so they can play their favourite games.

Also maybe I have a bad memory and it was the same when I was a kid (I don't think it was) but the sheer number of toys that kids have these days is mind boggling. I don't think many of the toys will be special to my kids because they are so fickle and lose interest in most of them shortly after getting them. We're trying to stop friends and relatives from buying them toys at birthdays, Christmas etc because they already have more than they could ever play with.

Kids these days! Now git off my lawn!

Haha (get off my lawn) I think kids that have games (board, card) that leave them with good memories of bonding with their parents, are good ones to have. It may be old fashioned but you get one on one time with your kids, you can teach them lessons about being honest while playing games. They also feel they mean something to you because, as a parent, spending time with a kid is a most invaluable gift. Just my two cents.

usLuckyMe
Forum Angel
LuckyMe's picture
Location: Ohio, USA
Joined: 10 Dec 2011
Posts: 7400
Thanks given: 163
Thanks received: 222
27 January 2012 - 5:11am
#29
Ubetcha wrote:

Hello Kitty was the big thing when I was growing up. Mostly, I collected Hello Kitty stationery. Today, I still love them. They are adorable and so cute!

http://www.sanrio.com/

=^. .^=

My daughter had Hello Kitty stuff. I bet I probably have some Helo KItty stuff of hers still packed. I found some of her My Little Pony ponies and have them stored somewhere. I still have some of her clothes from when she was about 5. The clothes are from Sears. They used to have a guarantee, that if you wore the clothing out, within a year, they would replace it! These tops (I'm keeping in case she has a daughter) still look like new. Maybe they will be back in style in a few years. Smile

auCL-Ed
StaffStaff
CL-Ed's picture
Location: Sydney
Joined: 7 Sep 2007
Posts: 6148
Thanks given: 2485
Thanks received: 1781
27 January 2012 - 5:58am
#30
LuckyMe wrote:

Haha (get off my lawn) I think kids that have games (board, card) that leave them with good memories of bonding with their parents, are good ones to have. It may be old fashioned but you get one on one time with your kids, you can teach them lessons about being honest while playing games. They also feel they mean something to you because, as a parent, spending time with a kid is a most invaluable gift. Just my two cents.

So true. In fact every birthday I am looking at boardgamegeek.com for ideas (might post that in the sites thread). We bought little miss a tile placement game called The Kids of Carcassonne a while back and its excellent. She also loves a game of Uno and Guess Who. Speaking of Guess Who my wife's boss was recently in a meeting with some people from Hasbro pitching an idea for a new product (she works for a toy wholesaler), and they told him that in a good year the woman who invented Guess Who earns around $35 million in royalties!

My daughter also likes Hello Kitty. We were just looking at the website with her the other day and reading about all the characters together.

Always play it safe! Consult our list of rogue casinos and warnings before depositing.
Every comment you make in our forum earns you CLchips which can be used to buy real prizes in our CLchips shop!

Share this