0
$ £
usLuckyMe
Forum Angel
LuckyMe's picture
Location: Ohio, USA
Joined: 10 Dec 2011
Posts: 7400
Thanks given: 163
Thanks received: 222
24 December 2011 - 4:32am

What is the best/worst gift you ever received?

46 replies • Last post

I would have to say the best gift I ever received was a camera that I bought for myself.

The worst gift would have to be a green sweater.

2 members gave thanks for this useful post: hope777, barbadosslim93

auCL-Ed
StaffStaff
CL-Ed's picture
Location: Sydney
Joined: 7 Sep 2007
Posts: 6148
Thanks given: 2485
Thanks received: 1781
24 December 2011 - 5:13am
#1

I have a catalogue of worst gifts. We have a running joke in our family about one relative who always sends the worst gifts. They mean well and we don't see them often (yes I am being deliberately vague here, you never know who is reading!!), but they have absolutely no idea. Some examples I can remember are a kiddy toy watch when I was 20 years of age, an ugly knitted sweater (what is it with them? everyone hates them!) or a hideous "decorative" plate from Slovenia or somewhere they travelled. Its the thought that counts though!

Best ever Christmas present wasn't really a present - it was card from my wife with a message from my unborn baby telling me that they couldn't wait to meet me. It was so sweet.

To be honest I would be perfectly happy to forgo gifts at Christmas (at least for the adults). I just like having my kids around and seeing them happy with their new whatever!

Always play it safe! Consult our list of rogue casinos and warnings before depositing.
Every comment you make in our forum earns you CLchips which can be used to buy real prizes in our CLchips shop!

ushope777
Forum Angel
hope777's picture
Location: Minnesota USA
Joined: 1 Jan 2011
Posts: 12171
Thanks given: 955
Thanks received: 717
24 December 2011 - 7:43am
#2

Fun topic! I will be back. Smile

Hope777

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of the things, and no good thing ever dies.
Shawshank Redemption

geNinutsaJashi
FreerollerFreeroller
Joined: 18 Dec 2011
Posts: 16
Thanks given: 0
Thanks received: 3
24 December 2011 - 8:35am
#3

the best gift i ever got was when i got a new lap-top, a camera and my ipod <3

gesalivan_genius
Gold PlayerGold Player
salivan_genius's picture
Joined: 9 Sep 2011
Posts: 501
Thanks given: 3
Thanks received: 13
25 December 2011 - 5:12pm
#4

the worst one was the candlestick :| I was like wtf? Confused Joking

the best one was a big Nutella Joking

gesalivan_genius
Gold PlayerGold Player
salivan_genius's picture
Joined: 9 Sep 2011
Posts: 501
Thanks given: 3
Thanks received: 13
25 December 2011 - 5:12pm
#5

and antique watch Smile

geGambleMaster
Gold PlayerGold Player
GambleMaster's picture
Joined: 31 Aug 2011
Posts: 542
Thanks given: 27
Thanks received: 40
26 December 2011 - 12:39pm
#6

My best gift ever was a glass ball with an angel inside for Christmas, I've got it last year from my boyfriend... Love And the worst one was a pair of knee high boots on extremely high hills, with a Zebra pattern... Sick

gesalivan_genius
Gold PlayerGold Player
salivan_genius's picture
Joined: 9 Sep 2011
Posts: 501
Thanks given: 3
Thanks received: 13
26 December 2011 - 1:44pm
#7

Why didn't you like that boots? or do you prefer Tiger pattern? Joking

You should be careful not to get the ones for the next birthday lol

usLuckyMe
Forum Angel
LuckyMe's picture
Location: Ohio, USA
Joined: 10 Dec 2011
Posts: 7400
Thanks given: 163
Thanks received: 222
26 December 2011 - 2:20pm
#8
CL-Ed wrote:

Best ever Christmas present wasn't really a present - it was card from my wife with a message from my unborn baby telling me that they couldn't wait to meet me. It was so sweet.

To be honest I would be perfectly happy to forgo gifts at Christmas (at least for the adults). I just like having my kids around and seeing them happy with their new whatever!

Aw, I am very sentimental. What your wife did brought tears to my eyes. What a wonderful gift from your wife. How thoughtful. This is a gift you will always remember. I think the gifts that mean the most are ones with emotions attached to them, at least for me. We, my boyfriend and I, don't really buy gifts for each other. I, like you, would be happy with seeing my kids and grandson enjoy their gifts and just being happy. We are in another state and I miss my family terribly.

usLuckyMe
Forum Angel
LuckyMe's picture
Location: Ohio, USA
Joined: 10 Dec 2011
Posts: 7400
Thanks given: 163
Thanks received: 222
26 December 2011 - 2:22pm
#9
salivan_genius wrote:

the worst one was the candlestick :| I was like wtf? Confused Joking

the best one was a big Nutella Joking

Hahaha, This one made me laugh out loud. Maybe the candlestick was for use of a candlelit dinner? I could think of some other things but nahhh.........let it go. Smile Nutella......yum.

usLuckyMe
Forum Angel
LuckyMe's picture
Location: Ohio, USA
Joined: 10 Dec 2011
Posts: 7400
Thanks given: 163
Thanks received: 222
26 December 2011 - 2:25pm
#10

I remember other gifts that I really enjoyed. One was an elephant that my daughter bought at the Goodwill store for .69 cents. Smile She forgot and left the sticker on it. That was probably 20 years ago and I still have it. The thought is what counts. I collected elephants then.

I received a printer one year! I was so excited. Another gift that I thoroughly enjoyed was a curio cabinet and a velour shirt.

ushope777
Forum Angel
hope777's picture
Location: Minnesota USA
Joined: 1 Jan 2011
Posts: 12171
Thanks given: 955
Thanks received: 717
26 December 2011 - 11:02pm
#11

I have been very spoiled by my family through the years, because they all refuse to draw names and everyone buys for everyone. But the gifts that mean the most to me, as others are saying, are those gifts my boys would either pick out on their own or made for me with their own hands, even if it was a card made out of construction paper. I still have a serving platter that my son picked out for me when they used to have "Santa's store" set up at that school, through community education, where they put up affordable trinkets for the kids to buy for their parents and siblings. I serve cookies off that tray every single year still. My son made me earrings one year, and they were so cute! Yup. Those are the BEST gifts of all.

My niece made me a key keeper, out of wooden blocks, and the blocks spelled out my name. I still have that somewhere, too, and I love it!

Another gift she gave me, that I loved, and still love, lol, was something as simple as a pancake griddle. Before that, i could not make a decent pancake, and now I think I am wearing that griddle out!

One year my boys surprised me by buying me all the seasons of the show, "Weeds," which was my favorite show at the time. That was fun.

I am still trying to think of a worst gift? I guess it was when my ex-husband bought me a word processor (before computers, lol). I had wanted one so bad, but the thing is he took the funds from MY money that I had received as an inheritance, and he beamed and beamed as if he was so proud that "he" bought me that. Yup. Thanks for spending MY money on something I wanted. lol

The rest of the "worst gifts" i must be blocking out of my memory, like a bad memory, lol

Hope777

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of the things, and no good thing ever dies.
Shawshank Redemption

gesalivan_genius
Gold PlayerGold Player
salivan_genius's picture
Joined: 9 Sep 2011
Posts: 501
Thanks given: 3
Thanks received: 13
27 December 2011 - 8:22am
#12
hope777 wrote:

The rest of the "worst gifts" i must be blocking out of my memory, like a bad memory, lol

good approach Joking) but sometimes you can't just erase really bad gifts from your memory Joking)

ushope777
Forum Angel
hope777's picture
Location: Minnesota USA
Joined: 1 Jan 2011
Posts: 12171
Thanks given: 955
Thanks received: 717
27 December 2011 - 7:52pm
#13
CL-Ed wrote:

I have a catalogue of worst gifts. We have a running joke in our family about one relative who always sends the worst gifts. They mean well and we don't see them often (yes I am being deliberately vague here, you never know who is reading!!), but they have absolutely no idea. Some examples I can remember are a kiddy toy watch when I was 20 years of age, an ugly knitted sweater (what is it with them? everyone hates them!) or a hideous "decorative" plate from Slovenia or somewhere they travelled. Its the thought that counts though!

Best ever Christmas present wasn't really a present - it was card from my wife with a message from my unborn baby telling me that they couldn't wait to meet me. It was so sweet.

To be honest I would be perfectly happy to forgo gifts at Christmas (at least for the adults). I just like having my kids around and seeing them happy with their new whatever!

CL-Ed, we had a relative like that, too, God rest her soul. She didn't understand that the boys were growing up and she would give "age inappropriate" gifts, like Action Figures when they had moved on from playing with toys, or items of clothing or jewelry that were way too small. She must have pictured them as forever young. lol!

Hope777

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of the things, and no good thing ever dies.
Shawshank Redemption

ushope777
Forum Angel
hope777's picture
Location: Minnesota USA
Joined: 1 Jan 2011
Posts: 12171
Thanks given: 955
Thanks received: 717
27 December 2011 - 7:53pm
#14
salivan_genius wrote:

good approach Joking) but sometimes you can't just erase really bad gifts from your memory Joking)

LOL, SG! Well, I must have done a good job with it, because I know I must have received a really bad gift at SOME point in time, and I honestly cannot remember right now, lol!

Did the person who gave a candlestick give you the matching one to the set the following year? Just kidding. Wink

Hope777

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of the things, and no good thing ever dies.
Shawshank Redemption

usUbetcha
True PlayerTrue Player
Ubetcha's picture
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 880
Thanks given: 222
Thanks received: 84
28 December 2011 - 6:20am
#15

Hi all.. Smile the best gift would be the VISA gift card from my honey.. i already used it on Club World Casino & almost lost it all.. i should not have signed up for the bonus 'cause i could not use it for the tourney until i played through...... btw, the worst gift last X'mas 2010 from my sis-in-law.... how could she?? in a 1986 candle-box-springy-colors (literally, where's my cute bunny?) and all that cheap-poh!

Y'all take care.. =^. .^=

ushope777
Forum Angel
hope777's picture
Location: Minnesota USA
Joined: 1 Jan 2011
Posts: 12171
Thanks given: 955
Thanks received: 717
29 December 2011 - 7:27pm
#16

I just thought of the WORST gift, but it was not TO me, but it did involve me. It was my very first Christmas with the last man I had a long-term relationship with. My sister-in-law gathered every AWFUL, horrible, un-photogenic picture she could find of me, plus old photos of me with my "eighties hair," ridiculous outfits, photos with me half sleeping, sticking out my tongue, whatever, you get it. She put them in a photo album and gave it to my then-beau as a Christmas gift! I saw him paging through and laughing and looking at me, and when I realized what it was I was SO devastated and humiliated! She thought it was the funniest joke ever, but I have dedicated my life, ever since, to getting her back for that (and I have done a few things to do just that, already, through the years).

Can you even imagine? Sad

Hope777

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of the things, and no good thing ever dies.
Shawshank Redemption

usLuckyMe
Forum Angel
LuckyMe's picture
Location: Ohio, USA
Joined: 10 Dec 2011
Posts: 7400
Thanks given: 163
Thanks received: 222
30 December 2011 - 2:47am
#17
hope777 wrote:

I just thought of the WORST gift, but it was not TO me, but it did involve me. It was my very first Christmas with the last man I had a long-term relationship with. My sister-in-law gathered every AWFUL, horrible, un-photogenic picture she could find of me, plus old photos of me with my "eighties hair," ridiculous outfits, photos with me half sleeping, sticking out my tongue, whatever, you get it. She put them in a photo album and gave it to my then-beau as a Christmas gift! I saw him paging through and laughing and looking at me, and when I realized what it was I was SO devastated and humiliated! She thought it was the funniest joke ever, but I have dedicated my life, ever since, to getting her back for that (and I have done a few things to do just that, already, through the years).

Can you even imagine? Sad

Wow, what an awful thing to do to someone. I'm appalled.

ushope777
Forum Angel
hope777's picture
Location: Minnesota USA
Joined: 1 Jan 2011
Posts: 12171
Thanks given: 955
Thanks received: 717
30 December 2011 - 3:08am
#18
LuckyMe wrote:

Wow, what an awful thing to do to someone. I'm appalled.

I know, right? She is lucky that I love her and that we are still friends, right? They all thought it was all in good fun, but I could have shrunk into the carpet. Many years ago, now, and I have gotten her pack a few times since. Wink

Hope777

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of the things, and no good thing ever dies.
Shawshank Redemption

geGambleMaster
Gold PlayerGold Player
GambleMaster's picture
Joined: 31 Aug 2011
Posts: 542
Thanks given: 27
Thanks received: 40
30 December 2011 - 11:36am
#19
hope777 wrote:

I know, right? She is lucky that I love her and that we are still friends, right? They all thought it was all in good fun, but I could have shrunk into the carpet. Many years ago, now, and I have gotten her pack a few times since. Wink

LOL hope, she is definitely extremely lucky to be your friend ever since!

I've just remembered one of the WORST present to my B-Day : it was a very nice gift box, tempting to open it as soon as I got it ..... and there was a brooch inside. But if only it was just a brooch (regardless the fact that I never ever wear them) it was huge and had a shape of a gigantic chandelier you may find in old Opera Houses......

usLuckyMe
Forum Angel
LuckyMe's picture
Location: Ohio, USA
Joined: 10 Dec 2011
Posts: 7400
Thanks given: 163
Thanks received: 222
30 December 2011 - 4:23pm
#20
GambleMaster wrote:

[
I've just remembered one of the WORST present to my B-Day : it was a very nice gift box, tempting to open it as soon as I got it ..... and there was a brooch inside. But if only it was just a brooch (regardless the fact that I never ever wear them) it was huge and had a shape of a gigantic chandelier you may find in old Opera Houses......

I collect brooches so this would have been a great gift for me! I've never heard of one like you are talking about though. I looked one up on Ebay and it was listed for $199.00. If you still have the brooch, maybe you can sell it and have some casino money?

ushope777
Forum Angel
hope777's picture
Location: Minnesota USA
Joined: 1 Jan 2011
Posts: 12171
Thanks given: 955
Thanks received: 717
31 December 2011 - 1:52am
#21
GambleMaster wrote:

LOL hope, she is definitely extremely lucky to be your friend ever since!

I've just remembered one of the WORST present to my B-Day : it was a very nice gift box, tempting to open it as soon as I got it ..... and there was a brooch inside. But if only it was just a brooch (regardless the fact that I never ever wear them) it was huge and had a shape of a gigantic chandelier you may find in old Opera Houses......

Yes! One person's "trash" can be another person's treasure, and you never know what that brooch may be worth...maybe even vintage? Do you still have it, GM? Smile

Hope777

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of the things, and no good thing ever dies.
Shawshank Redemption

auCL-Ed
StaffStaff
CL-Ed's picture
Location: Sydney
Joined: 7 Sep 2007
Posts: 6148
Thanks given: 2485
Thanks received: 1781
3 January 2012 - 11:57pm
#22

I was talking to a friend I hadn't seen for years the other day. He's been going out with this girl for a few weeks and all was good until he gave her a Christmas present. He recently bought a new stereo so decided to use the big box for the old "big box little present" trick. He packed it with progressively smaller boxes and in the middle had a necklace or something. Anyway apparently it did not go down well. She had gotten excited after unwrapping the first layer and thought she was getting a new stereo. She gave a very lukewarm thanks at the end and she hasn't called him since!

If you ask me she sounds too high maintenance for my liking. You'd have to see the funny side of it wouldn't you?

Always play it safe! Consult our list of rogue casinos and warnings before depositing.
Every comment you make in our forum earns you CLchips which can be used to buy real prizes in our CLchips shop!

usbarbadosslim93
Forum Angel
barbadosslim93's picture
Location: Michigan
Joined: 28 Jan 2011
Posts: 7781
Thanks given: 535
Thanks received: 499
4 January 2012 - 12:01am
#23

That is golden, Ed. People should at least act like they appreciate the present.

And what woman chooses a stereo over jewelry?!? I mean come on...

usLuckyMe
Forum Angel
LuckyMe's picture
Location: Ohio, USA
Joined: 10 Dec 2011
Posts: 7400
Thanks given: 163
Thanks received: 222
4 January 2012 - 12:02am
#24
CL-Ed wrote:

I was talking to a friend I hadn't seen for years the other day. He's been going out with this girl for a few weeks and all was good until he gave her a Christmas present. He recently bought a new stereo so decided to use the big box for the old "big box little present" trick. He packed it with progressively smaller boxes and in the middle had a necklace or something. Anyway apparently it did not go down well. She had gotten excited after unwrapping the first layer and thought she was getting a new stereo. She gave a very lukewarm thanks at the end and she hasn't called him since!

If you ask me she sounds too high maintenance for my liking. You'd have to see the funny side of it wouldn't you?

Well she has no sense of humor. She should be glad she got anything. If she has only gone out with the guy for a couple of weeks, who would expect to get a stereo? A couple of weeks is still a friendship kind of relationship if you ask me. What did she get him?

auCL-Ed
StaffStaff
CL-Ed's picture
Location: Sydney
Joined: 7 Sep 2007
Posts: 6148
Thanks given: 2485
Thanks received: 1781
4 January 2012 - 12:03am
#25

Aaaah yes. The eternally unfathomable mystery that is "woman".

Although now you mention it I can see the positive side to a woman who would rather a stereo. Maybe she's a keeper after all.

Always play it safe! Consult our list of rogue casinos and warnings before depositing.
Every comment you make in our forum earns you CLchips which can be used to buy real prizes in our CLchips shop!

ushope777
Forum Angel
hope777's picture
Location: Minnesota USA
Joined: 1 Jan 2011
Posts: 12171
Thanks given: 955
Thanks received: 717
4 January 2012 - 12:08am
#26
CL-Ed wrote:

I was talking to a friend I hadn't seen for years the other day. He's been going out with this girl for a few weeks and all was good until he gave her a Christmas present. He recently bought a new stereo so decided to use the big box for the old "big box little present" trick. He packed it with progressively smaller boxes and in the middle had a necklace or something. Anyway apparently it did not go down well. She had gotten excited after unwrapping the first layer and thought she was getting a new stereo. She gave a very lukewarm thanks at the end and she hasn't called him since!

If you ask me she sounds too high maintenance for my liking. You'd have to see the funny side of it wouldn't you?

I agree that she has no sense of humor! I would be attracted to him just for the creativity and thoughtfulness that went into the gift giving, no matter if I wanted a stereo more than a necklace.

We did that to my youngest son once. We packed his box with cans of green beans (his least favorite vegetable) so it looked like that is all he was getting. There was a CD (or something, I think it was a CD) in a hidden area of the box. It was fun to see his face, lol!

Hope777

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of the things, and no good thing ever dies.
Shawshank Redemption

usLuckyMe
Forum Angel
LuckyMe's picture
Location: Ohio, USA
Joined: 10 Dec 2011
Posts: 7400
Thanks given: 163
Thanks received: 222
4 January 2012 - 12:13am
#27

My ex sis-in-law did a message in a box gift for me. I opened the package, had a note to go upstairs to find another box, which had a note to go down to the basement to find another box. That box had a box inside a box inside a box. I don't remember what the gift was now. It made me tired and frustrated but in the long run was fun.

ushope777
Forum Angel
hope777's picture
Location: Minnesota USA
Joined: 1 Jan 2011
Posts: 12171
Thanks given: 955
Thanks received: 717
4 January 2012 - 2:15am
#28
LuckyMe wrote:

My ex sis-in-law did a message in a box gift for me. I opened the package, had a note to go upstairs to find another box, which had a note to go down to the basement to find another box. That box had a box inside a box inside a box. I don't remember what the gift was now. It made me tired and frustrated but in the long run was fun.

LOL, that does sound like fun!

I did something similar for my ex-husband. On his golden birthday (31) we bought him 31 gifts. The "big" gift was a really nice suit. We put it in the dryer and wrote up a scavenger hunt. At the end of the hunt he found a piece of yarn which he followed to the gift (in the dryer). The kids had fun helping with that.

One time we bought my son a bike for Christmas. We put it in the bathtub and shut the shower curtain, then wrote up clues so he had to also go on a scavenger hunt.

I like the creativity that goes into some gift giving, because it truly is the thought the counts, isn't it? Smile

Hope777

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of the things, and no good thing ever dies.
Shawshank Redemption

usLuckyMe
Forum Angel
LuckyMe's picture
Location: Ohio, USA
Joined: 10 Dec 2011
Posts: 7400
Thanks given: 163
Thanks received: 222
4 January 2012 - 3:22am
#29
hope777 wrote:

One time we bought my son a bike for Christmas. We put it in the bathtub and shut the shower curtain, then wrote up clues so he had to also go on a scavenger hunt.

I like the creativity that goes into some gift giving, because it truly is the thought the counts, isn't it? Smile

It is the thought that counts like the .69 cent elephant from my daughter. This is how memories are made and traditions are started. I use to collect miniature teddy bears. One year we had a Christmas tree decorated with teddy bears.

My boyfriend has a lot of fishing lures. I really like looking at them. I joked that we should put them on the Christmas tree one year. I'm sure we will do this one year.

mrSophia
Card SharkCard Shark
Joined: 29 Jun 2011
Posts: 176
Thanks given: 20
Thanks received: 4
4 January 2012 - 9:31pm
#30
LuckyMe][quote=hope777 wrote:

One time we bought my son a bike for Christmas. We put it in the bathtub and shut the shower curtain, then wrote up clues so he had to also go on a scavenger hunt.

I like the creativity that goes into some gift giving, because it truly is the thought the counts, isn't it? Smile

Soo sweet of you.... I adore creative presents, even the worst one can be gifted the way that makes it memorable for life...

Share this