Forum AngelForum Angel
hope777's picture
Thanks given: 1393
Thanks received: 1043
10 December 2012 - 5:41pm

Son's car started on FIRE last night!

5 replies • Last post

Oh, what a night!

Oldest son came home from work last night, and he was trying to get into a parking place through all the snow.

His car started smoking, and he ran upstairs to try to find a fire extinguisher while a neighbor called 911. The entire fricking fire department was here, and his car is completely burned up.

He bought this used car on a loan, so he could finally have a GOOD and RELIABLE car, and to build credit, too, because he was driving an older "Craigs List" junker for a LONG time, and because he basically has "ghost credit."

So, needless to say, there was, and is, a lot of stress at our household last night and this morning. It brought back horrible memories of our house fire, about eight to nine years ago, and it was just a total nightmare.

The car is a 2000 Dodge Stratus, and it really WAS a nice car. However, a month or so ago he brought it in, because he smelled an odd odor, and they said they fixed the problem, but he could still smell it when the car was running for a while. I found TWO issues/recalls online for this make and model that could cause fires under the hood. He only had the car for three months, if that.

We are already juggling two cars among THREE people in our household, and now we are down to one for at least a day or two, and of course, oldest son is having "fun" dealing with all this, the phone calls, transportation, and so on. Good thing he has today and tomorrow off, but the poor guy is stressed to the max.

I cannot believe our luck sometimes OR his "luck" with cars. I am just thankful he was not hurt and/or there was no damage to the vehicles surrounding his.

Happy Holidays. lol 🤷

catobleroos
NewbieNewbie
Thanks received: 1
11 December 2012 - 6:56pm

That's awful. I hope everything has worked out since.
While that's a lot of stress, it's good to see you took a positive outlook on things

ushope777
Forum AngelForum Angel
hope777's picture
11 December 2012 - 8:22pm
tobleroos wrote:

That's awful. I hope everything has worked out since.
While that's a lot of stress, it's good to see you took a positive outlook on things

Thank you, tobleroos. Very stressful day here yesterday. I was literally in my car from 1:30 to 6:30 with ONE break when I ran into the grocery store for two minutes. We had a huge snow storm here in MN, and suddenly people forgot how to drive. It took us 1 and 1/2 hours to go 20 to 30 miles ONE WAY, then I had to get back on the freeway to pick up youngest son from work since we were juggling vehicles. NOT a good Monday, but yes, what choice do we have except to keep moving forward. My oldest is already in a new car and the old one was just towed away by our insurance company. He has had TWO accidents (not his fault) and now this in the last year or so alone. We are ready for some POSITIVE "stuff" to happen to our family. 🙂

usluckywalker
Slots FanSlots Fan
luckywalker's picture
Thanks given: 73
Thanks received: 160
11 December 2012 - 10:41pm

When it rains it pours Hope but try to keep positive, altho its difficult at times!!!With the recall do you have any recourse? I know my daughters grand prix had that same recall and we took it in for new wires and whatever but there had been several fires with other people's I guess.

A sidebar:

Please do NOT send that MN snow to MI. we have been enjoying a very mild first part of winter!!!! 😂

usUbetcha
True PlayerTrue Player
Ubetcha's picture
Thanks given: 222
Thanks received: 85
11 December 2012 - 10:56pm

Bless your son's heart.. spices in life like this, keeps us going for good!

ushope777
Forum AngelForum Angel
hope777's picture
12 December 2012 - 3:13am
luckywalker wrote:

When it rains it pours Hope but try to keep positive, altho its difficult at times!!!With the recall do you have any recourse? I know my daughters grand prix had that same recall and we took it in for new wires and whatever but there had been several fires with other people's I guess.

A sidebar:

Please do NOT send that MN snow to MI. we have been enjoying a very mild first part of winter!!!! 😂

Our last few have been "non-winters," but this year we already have more snow in one snowfall than we have had in other snowfalls for two years. At least that is what "they" are saying, but we are not out of drought conditions yet, even with all this snow.

Yes, trying to stay positive. I always do, yet never a dull moment. I told my close friend that all I have ever wanted is a boring, uneventful life. I don't need this type of excitement at all. lol

Since oldest son had a used car, we know nothing about the recall or if was addressed in the past. They placed him a Buick Century now with fewer miles than the other. That is what I drive, but his is much nicer (and cleaner) than mine, lol and three years newer. At least they placed him in a new car right away, since it is a used car place and he is making payments on it. I am very happy for him, if not a bit jealous. lol I will have to win a new car soon. 🙂