Forum AngelForum Angel
hope777's picture
Thanks given: 1393
Thanks received: 1043
22 October 2012 - 6:34pm

Otis' Surgery

10 replies • Last post

Hello CL Friends!

I had to write to let you all know that surgery went very well! YAY!

We waited all morning, and I called at 10:30am and he was still in surgery. They said they would call, but when no call by 12:00 I couldn't stand it any longer, so I called. By the time I called that time, Otis, our little trouper was already awake and walking around!

The surgeon called and said the mass was quite large: 3 cm, and there were two "superficial," smaller masses on the way to that one. He also said with this area they cannot take "wide margins," like they would in taking precautions with other possible cancerous masses, due to the area. They obviously have to be careful in that area not to take important muscles and nerves he needs to control his functions.

Now we wait for the mass to be sent off and tested, and we continue to hope and to pray for another miracle! When we find out results, we go from there.

Otis was SO cute last night when I had him out for the last time before bed. He usually makes that a quick trip, but he sniffed and sniffed in the leaves, and walked and ran and just did not want to come in. Today, he tried to run down the sidewalk AWAY from the vet clinic building, lol.

Now I am playing the waiting game. I have his small crate ready to go when I pick him up and a big crate set up here for him to rest in. I already have his pain meds, but no more meds today and no food until tomorrow, either. Poor baby will be so hungry. I pick him up at 6pm unless they call to have me pick him up earlier.

I just had to share the GREAT NEWS as soon as I possibly could. Again, I am completely exhausted. I never take a nap, but I am actually thinking of taking one while I wait to go pick up Otis.

Tears are falling again today, but tears of joy.

Thank you all for your kind words and loving support, CL Friends! 🙂

barbadosslim93

usLuckyMe
Forum AngelForum Angel
LuckyMe's picture
Thanks given: 163
Thanks received: 230
22 October 2012 - 7:59pm

Continued prayers for Otis. I pray that the test results are 100% clear of any disease.

ushope777
Forum AngelForum Angel
hope777's picture
22 October 2012 - 8:22pm
LuckyMe wrote:

Continued prayers for Otis. I pray that the test results are 100% clear of any disease.

We are hoping and praying for a MIRACLE! Thank you so much, LuckyMe. It is SO nice to know that thing is out of his little body and that he was up and walking only ONE hour after surgery, lol. My little trooper! 🙂

ushope777
Forum AngelForum Angel
hope777's picture
23 October 2012 - 12:55am

Well, I picked Oti up, and he was in obvious pain, poor little guy. He did not want to ride in the crate, so I let him lie across my lap, and he got up and down a few times, and groaned once, then finally settled down.

When I let him out of the car, I thought he would be stiff and sore, so I let the harness down for just a second, and he took off running! NOT a good thing to do with brand new sutures. I could barely get him to listen to me and stop. And he was running in the opposite direction from our door. (He was on the lawn, not in any danger, but still).

I carried him close to our door, then I let him down again just in case he had to go potty before I brought him inside; starts running again, so I picked him up and carried him up.

He tried running around the apartment, then went straight for behind the couch. I tried to get him out of there to put him in the crate, and he ran behind the loveseat, then started walking around in the kitchen. Again, I thought he might have to go potty, so I put some poopy pads down (not sure how much control he will have for a day or two), then soon realized that was not the problem.

I tried crating him again, but he just hates in there, and he was scratching and whining, definitely not settling down.

He finally settled down behind the loveseat, and then I had to go use the bathroom. I got out, went into my bedroom, and he was trying to squeeze himself between a bin I have beside my bed and the bed. I think he was just really confused and hurting.

I picked him up and stretched out on the bed with him for quite a while, and he settled down, putting his muzzle in the crook of my arm, and I sang to him, lol, and talked to him for a long time. We then moved to the couch, and we did the same thing on the couch, so I could watch some TV, and he stayed settled down for a long time before he wanted back behind the loveseat.

Now he just got a little restless again, but he is lying under the kitchen table, which he NEVER does. I think he is so bothered that he can't reach back there.

The vet thought he would just be tired and sleep, but I am not thinking so. I will have to figure out a place to put him in my room so I can sleep tonight, and hopefully, he can settle down and sleep, too. And if he doesn't settle back down right now, I will have to put him back up on the couch by me for a bit.

We have to reduce activity for the first few days, especially, and he was like the Energizer Bunny when he first returned home.

I barely slept last night, and I am sure I will be "on the alert," tonight, too. No more pain meds until morning, either, so I hope he is not in too much pain. That is the most difficult thing with pets, because they hide pain so well and can't tell us when it hurts.

usLuckyMe
Forum AngelForum Angel
LuckyMe's picture
23 October 2012 - 3:15am

He must have been running on adrenalin. I think it really stresses them out when their routine is changed. I bet in a couple of days he will be his old self.

That reminds me when I had my dog spayed. She came out of the vet's office and ran to the car. You would never had known that she had so much energy.

Looking forward to hearing about when he is in his normal routine again.

usluckywalker
Slots FanSlots Fan
luckywalker's picture
Thanks given: 73
Thanks received: 160
23 October 2012 - 11:43am

Good news about Otis, Hope!!!wishing him a speedy recovery and more good health new!!!!

usbarbadosslim93
Forum AngelForum Angel
barbadosslim93's picture
Thanks given: 849
Thanks received: 2155
23 October 2012 - 2:01pm

Good luck with Otis. Hope you get the news you are praying about.

ushope777
Forum AngelForum Angel
hope777's picture
23 October 2012 - 5:51pm

Thank you so much, LM, LW, and 'Slim!

Otis finally settled down last night. He sure enjoyed his breakfast today, after fasting for an entire day (no dinner last night). He finally drank some water last night, and he slept well.

I bought "poopy pads," because I read where they can lose control of their functions for a day or two, but my dear boy is so shameful when he has an accident, that he waited until we let him out this morning. He is such a good boy. 🙂

Middle son is here visiting, and he ran to him when he came through the door, wagged his tail and told him all about it. He is doing this little groan I have never heard before, poor little guy.

He is on anti-biotics, pain med (Rimadyl) a pain med for break through cuz the Rimadyl is once a day (Bupernorphine or something like that, however you spell it), and a laxative.

I am dedicating the entire week to my baby, so I will be home with him. My sons are going to a movie soon, and I want to see it so bad, but I will see it another time (Argo).

usLuckyMe
Forum AngelForum Angel
LuckyMe's picture
24 October 2012 - 2:47am

Good to hear Hope. Glad he has the pain medicine too. Hope he heals fast.

usluckywalker
Slots FanSlots Fan
luckywalker's picture
Thanks given: 73
Thanks received: 160
24 October 2012 - 10:27am

That is fantastic news Hope. sounds like otis is on the mend. so happy to hear!!!!

usbobafett0820
High RollerHigh Roller
bobafett0820's picture
Thanks given: 49
Thanks received: 48
3 February 2013 - 1:25am

i am so glad he is doing good now! he is a special lil guy 🙂